New member, first post

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Genedotson

New member, first post

Post by Genedotson »

Hi all;

From Gene Dptson

Been lurking for a few months and decided it time to introduce myself.

I am a retired 68 year old Maule owner. I live near De Graff, Ohio on a 28 acre farm with a 1900 foot, one way N/S strip, not charted. Located in west central, Ohio.

Airplane is a 1977 M5 210C I bought in 1994 and recovered and repainted in 1996. Airplane is original first run with 1555 hours total time. Strictly land plane.

My favorite get away is July 4th weekend campout at Starbuck, Minnesota.(D32). Located at the west end of Lake Minnewaska. Will give more reminders and information as time nears.

Hope to get acquainted with all of you.... Gene

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hi Gene! Welcome!

Hey, there is a nice little fly-in Oct 1-3 over at OH82 in Adams Mill, Ohio. There will be a few Maules there. That is probably 30 minutes away from you.

http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/v ... f=8&t=5924

Stop in if you have time. I will be there with a couple other guys (weather permitting and the creek don't rise!). I would enjoy meeting you. Now whether you would enjoy meeting me is a whole other topic!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Hi Rod
Thanks for the reply. I don't find the listing for OH82. Is this Graham's strip? Have been there if it is. Have met them at other fly-ins too. Couple other strips near Adams Mills and private strips are not identified by identifier. Will look it up on the GPS. Probably closer to 130 miles than 30 though. Be a nice trip.

I formerly lived next to Buckeye Executive Airport near Hebron for 13 years and flew out of there. Couple of active Maule pilots there now.

Will try to make the fly-in. Have commitment for Saturday so may try to make it early Sunday morning. Met an 86 year old gentleman and former pilot at dinner today and I think he would enjoy the flight.

Gene Dotson

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Yup! It's Grahams.

I am always interested in folks from Ohio. I was born in Lima a few moons ago. Now my son works for Republic Airways in Columbus.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

I am 38 miles southeast of Lima. About 6 miles south of Indian Lake. Moved back closer to my roots after I retired. 28 acre farm came up for auction and was the perfect location for an old farm boy with 15 tractors and an airplane.

Gene Dotson

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

15 tractors? wow.. :) Used to pick up new gliders from Bluffton every once and a while.. done a couple of aerotows from there back to central pa.. fun trip..

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Yep, Bluffton used to be the go-to airport for good food. Went constantly downhill till it finally burned a few years ago. Was not rebuilt.

BTW, Dottie Anderson is still flying out of Bluffton. Lot of pilots have her signature on their certificate.

Gene Dotson

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Hey Rod

I was at Graham's this morning(Sunday). Sorry you weren't able to make it.

I actually had to make the 2 hour drive as the winds were high and ceilings low with rain showers. Was able to meet some of the Back country and Supercub members. No other Maules there while I was there. Most others were there on Saturday, but I was cimmitted for that day.

Thanke for the heads-up.

Gene

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hi Gene,

Well we had 8.65" of rain at ABE airport just on the other side of the hill from us. That was a record! We were all looking for porta-a-docks to attach to the hangars! :lol:

I was real disappointed I could not make it to the fly-in. I heard they had a great time Friday and Saturday!
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

RobBurson
100+ Posts

Post by RobBurson »

HI gene, welcome. Blue skies and tail winds.

Rob

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

Thanks Rob. I am sure I will learn a lot on the site. Hope I can also be of help when I can. Look forward to some of our future events.

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C

zane

Post by zane »

Hi Gene, it was nice meeting you last weekend. Ohio is a pretty place to fly.

Genedotson

Post by Genedotson »

It was very entertainin watching all the flying and meeting those that I coiuld. Wanted to meet Greg, but he never stayed grounded long enough to say hi.

My flying for the last few years has become somewhat stale. Seems I have lost contact with the core group I once knew.

John's fly-in has brought back a lot of that enthusiam I had many years ago. Weather prevented flying my own plane and was a disappointment. Will definately plan on attending more of the fly-ins.

Finally got registered on Backcountrypilots.com. Look forward to sharing with that group also.

See you guys all at the ramp...

Gene
Gene Dotson

1977 Maule M5-210C