Tailwheel problems

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Dan7945

Tailwheel problems

Post by Dan7945 »

:( During the past four months, I have gone through three tailwheel inner tubes on my 72' M4. I fly from a 2000' grass strip on our farm but land on hard surface for fuel. I carry an extra tube but I'm considering going to a solid tailwheel. Is this an easy conversion or do I need to change springs, etc.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Ain't happening even close to legally. I have the small Maule solid tailwheel on my little C-140 and it takes a beating on pavement. Works OK on a little light weight Cessna, but a heavy tailed Maule would I think Mash a solid tailwheel.
Wup has some stuff I think that thorn proofs Bushwheels and I have considered putting the solid rubber compound in my tailwheel. I'm sure it wouldn't be legal, but aside for cutting the tire in half, how would anyone know?
Don't know what the rubber stuff is called, but it's put inside of lawnmower tires etc. and of course then they can't go flat.

Hogy59

Post by Hogy59 »

Are you blowing the tubes, tearing off the stem, or just developing leaks?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

There are many types, this is just one. search for "foam filled tires"
http://www.arnconet.com/flatproofing/ultralite.htm

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

This is the stuff ABW recommends on their site.
$28.75/qt. Not sure how far it goes. You may be able to fill all your tires with a single quart.

"No Tubes

No Tubes: Seals most punctures, stop slow leaks, and virtually eliminates flats. Offers outstanding puncture resistance for holes as large as ¼”. This non-adhesive sealant is an easy to use substance that cleans up with water. It is lightweight and will not throw the tire out of balance. The thinner sealant also allows for sidewall protection that other sealants can not touch. And it doesn’t freeze!

1 quart + syringe"
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Tailwheel problems

Post by Hottshot »

Dan7945 wrote::( During the past four months, I have gone through three tailwheel inner tubes on my 72' M4. I fly from a 2000' grass strip on our farm but land on hard surface for fuel. I carry an extra tube but I'm considering going to a solid tailwheel. Is this an easy conversion or do I need to change springs, etc.

are you useing the same tire when you put a new tube in? recomend replace tire and tube as one ...

If not need more detail please

Dan7945

Post by Dan7945 »

:) Thanks for the recommendations. I believe that I will try Stans Tire and Rim Sealant. I'll let you know how it works.

RT
100+ Posts

Post by RT »

sOME GUYS THAT FLY THOUSANDS OF HOURS ARE USEING SOLID RUBBER TIRES THAT WERE MENT FOR ROLLOR COASTER DOCKING STATIONS. tHEY ARE SAID TO GO RIGHT ON YOUR REGULAR WHEEL. dON'T KNOW WHERE YOU GET THEM THOUGH.
RT

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

Dan, what PSI do you keep in the tailwheel? If PSI is too low, the pinching of the sidewall of the tube will give sudden flats. The POM that came with my 1974 M5 specified 25 psi for the tail. It needs to be closer to 50 psi. 25 psi is good for the mains but not the tail.

Dan7945

Post by Dan7945 »

Good point on the tire pressure. My POM specified 18-20 but I always thought that was a little low. I can't imagine that there would be that much difference between the M-4 and the M-5 tire pressure assuming that the M-5 tailwheel is also a 2.80/2.50-4. I have already ordered Stans Tire and Rim Sealant but I believe that I will try carrying a few more pounds of air in the tailwheel.

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

I had 2 pop on me before I called the factory and was told that the POM in the old version was incorrect. My M5 has the same size tire as your M4 and is 4 ply. I always carry a spare tire/tube and necessary tools, but since getting the pressure correct, I have not needed them.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If re-useing a tailwheel tyre case after having a flat, check the integrity of the tyre walls. Often they are compromised when the wall and tube are pinched between rim and a hard object, (pavement crack, edge, pothole, rock etc)
Recommended pressure 50-55 psi.
A lot of air escapes through the valve when applying and removing the tyre guage so allow for this.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Maule 9V

Post by Maule 9V »

I recently purchased a bicycle pump that is perfect for the tailwheel. It is only about 10 inches long and has a flexiable hose and a dial pressure gauge. The best feature is a valve that selects "high Volume" or "high presure". In the "high pressure" mode it was very easy to put 50 psi into the tailwheel. "High volume" and patience can fill the mains.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

LOL! Try it on Bushwheels. Bring lunch... and dinner.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Tail wheels are the weak point. If you are constantly landing tailwheel first on hard surface you will go through more tailwheels. I might recommend using wheel landings on the pavement and the full stall stuff for softer landing areas. The tailwheel should be checked every preflight for wear and pressure, also check condition of the valve stem. (I'm preaching to myself too). I carry a pump, extra tube and a tire patch kit including sealant for field maintenance. Hope this helps

Mike W.