Identifying Razorback or Ceconite 101

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

FlyingWrench

Identifying Razorback or Ceconite 101

Post by FlyingWrench »

How do you identify Razorback or Ceconite. I looked at a 1987 M-6 today. The finish was very brittle and cracked when flexed. Looking from inside I could not see any PMA stamps on the fabric like I am used to. My 140 wings are covered with PolyFiber and the PMA stamp is easy to see. I have had the same experience with Ceconite. The Maule Service Manual for the ship says it is covered with either Razorback or Ceconite 101. The POH did not say. How can I identify Razorback? Did Maule have some kind of deal with Ceconite where they provided fabric without the PMA stamp?
Any thoughts?
David

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Maule changed to Ceconite 101A in 1981 and I doubt if anyone has recovered a Maule in Razorback since. Though tough, it is harder to apply and much heavier than Ceconite.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Lawleraero

Post by Lawleraero »

A PMA'd stamp would not be necessary on the original fabric from Maule. Since they are the manufacturer, most anything they do to the airplane is approved by the type certificate. If you recover the aircraft then a PMA'd stamp would be required, unless you obtained a field approval for that specific installation, or the Maule factory did the recover job.

Tom

FlyingWrench

Post by FlyingWrench »

That is what I was wondering about. I understand that Maule quit using the Razorback in the early eighties. I looked at a '87 Maule yesterday and the owner was insistent that it was covered in Razorback. I looked inside the tail for the back side of the fabric and did not see a stamp for anything, maybe he was mistaken(it was his third Maule in 40 years). The cover was very brittle and the finish cracked when the fabric was flexed.
Thanks for the information. This is a great site.

David

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The finish cracks on Maules built prior to the end 1996 beginning 1996 because the paint used had little flexibility . There were some planes painted in the early '90's with a flexible paint but not all.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

calmflight

non flex paint

Post by calmflight »

Is there a good way to repair these cracks in the non-flexing paint? mine is a '91.
US Coast Guard Aux Air( NYC area).
Aviation Psychologist, private practice special fear of flying program for Business flyers and children

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

One way that works when it gets bad is to PRESSURE WASH all the paint off fabric which comes off relatively easily once cracked and refinish with one of the later made for fabric paint processes... As you are approaching 20yrs old on ceconite, you're near the end of expected life cycle though, and might not be worth the effort to refinish? But it might get you up to 10 more years, if it'll pass the punch test especially in the existing bad areas?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

calmflight

Post by calmflight »

Sound like a plan. My a/c has been inside for the last 6 years so maybe it bought me some time too.
US Coast Guard Aux Air( NYC area).
Aviation Psychologist, private practice special fear of flying program for Business flyers and children

rbowen

Post by rbowen »

It's very easy to distinguish Razorback from Ceconite.

Looking at it from the unpainted side, Razorback will appear quite rough. Go to Autozone and look at fiberglas cloth -- that's what Razorback looks like...thick fibers; open weave. Ceconite is a much smoother cloth, like a pinpoint cotton shirt.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

My 86 was Razorback, so I know it was still used then. Razorback will out last most anything, but it's heavy.