235vs180 Maule

Discuss topics related to technique, procedures, and idiosyncrasies of Maule aircraft.
rick

235vs180 Maule

Post by rick »

What is the advantage of the scott tail wheel over the maule factory wheel? I sold my maule and now have been regretting it but when I get another one I plan on changing a few things. I had the M7235 and it was a power house. If I purchase or trade for a Maule 180, do you think I will miss the 235. I have been told the 180 is balanced better. Not so nose heavy. However, I thought the 235 flew very well with no problems other than being a bit more requiring in the nose up trim for landing.

Thanks, Tumbleweed :?

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

I can give you a little information. Take it for what it is worth (Free).

First, Scott was bought by a French firm and their tailwheels are no longer available except as used.

Second, Alaskan Bushwheel makes a great tailwheel that is much better constructed than the basic Scott. (That, I know a lot about! :wink: ) And it comes with the paperwork you need for your logbook.

Personally, I prefer a tailwheel that has a fork mount rather than a side mount. They seem to track straighter and are less likely to vibrate. Just my opinion.

I do not have any experience with 235. I am given to understand that the 6 cyclinders are noticably smoother than the 180 with 4. Not that the 4 is bad.

I am very happy with my M5 180C. Lots of power, cruise about 125 to 130, leaned out I get 7.5 to 8 gph. Nine to 10 if the pedal is to the metal. I can haul 4 with a reasonable amount of fuel and still get in and out of grass runways with no problem. The usual caveats apply.

Hope that helps.
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

rick

235vs180 maule

Post by rick »

Thanks for the reply. We always learn something every day. I will definately check the info out on my next purchase. It seems logical to me.
again thanks. rick :wink:

Skystrider
100+ Posts

Post by Skystrider »

Hey Rick,

I just noticed where you live. I have a house over in South Daytona. I am going to be flying down in April and hopping over to Lakeland. Ever go to Sun 'N Fun?
1980 Maule M5-180C
Rod Hatcher

rick

Post by rick »

Hey Skystrider;

Yes I do go to Sun&Fun and also Oshkosh most of the time. This year I will be attending Sun&Fun. From where I live I can be there in about 1hr. to 1.5hrs. depending on traffic and how sweet this Porsche is running. I was at both last year and as usual they were great, but I believe anything to do with airplanes is the greatest fun there is.

I have been invited to go to fishing in Alaska in the July time frame so don't know if I will make it to Oshkosh but, for sure Sun&Fun. Maybe we can grab a beer if you are there and talk Maules. Let me know if you go.

Thanks Rick (Tumbleweed) 8) 8)

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

Rick,
I flew 145hp, 160hp, 180hp, 235hp, 260hp and 420hp Maules, probably +1500hrs between the models. I owned a 145hp and a 180hp, flew volcano tours in Hawaii in a 235hp.
My favored Maule in handling is the 180hp, very sweet, nicely balanced, also your useful load is better. There is plenty of excesss power with the 180hp to keep you put of trouble. I do like the 235 and 260 for their power, but I would buy a 180 again... (the 420hp is ofcourse a dream machine, but the price tag doesn't fit my budget).

Christine
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

rick

Post by rick »

cumulu!

Thanks for the reply. Looks like most everyone I talk to say about the same thing.

Rick :lol:

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

If she had just gotten to fly the Turbo. :shock:

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Actually, I had to as she was jumping out of it "with a parachute" of course. But she didn't get to fly the Diesel yet.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Christine
Site Admin

Post by Christine »

210TC - actually Jeremy had one for a bit and I did get to fly it (the turbo) - but as Jeremy says I didn't fly the Diesel (yet). I better work on that.
Christine
06WN '88 MX7-180 MaulePilots.org Founder
ck "at" maulepilots "dot" org

210TC
100+ Posts

Post by 210TC »

Jeremy, which 210TC did you have?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'll have to look it up, later. I believe I flew your's also. I remember the one I used for the skydive drops was red and maule white and I sold it to Texas but it subsequently moved on.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The M5 210TC was 5638D S/n 9003C and FAA records show it was destroyed in 2001
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

flyer
100+ Posts

Post by flyer »

Rick

One thing that people do not talk about is the increased cost of Maule aircraft insurance. If you are a Porsche owner it may not be a consideration.

I think all prospective buyers of Maule should know and research how much the insurance is going to be compared to other aircraft.

It has to do with the way insurance companies run their statistics.

It is something that should be factored into a decision.

flyer
Flyer

rick

Post by rick »

Flyer1

Your comment on Maule insurance was dead on. In 1999 I paid approximately 4700.00 dollars for one years insurance. That is one of the reasons a lot fly with no, or minimum insurance. This is not a smart thing to do. I know several who only fly alone and go camping, fishing etc in the back country. The planes they fly are usually very mechanically sound but are not new. Unfortunately! fuel prices and insurance cost are driving the market for the normal individuals who want to fly. If you are fortunate to be one of the Individuals that the insurance and fuel cost doesn't matter and can buy on a whim, that is great. My self personally, I worked all my life for everything I have and am now retired and living on a fixed income. In reference the Porsche subject, the 944 Turbo was purchased 21 years ago new and is better then new now due to taking care of something that you work hard for and dearly love. The same many pilots feel about their plane. I got lucky and purchased a 2006 Boxster 3.2 while the 944 was being completely redone. Had to have something to drive in the mean time. The wife prefers to drive the Rubicon. Go figure. Any way don't mean to bore you but I would trade either Porsche for a good Maule. Good flying and keep the right side up

Rick