Buying a Used Maule

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
RocketRick

Buying a Used Maule

Post by RocketRick »

Whlep I think I'm gonna go for it. To become a Maulite, or Maulidian or Maulester Ha!. :)

I've seen quite a few with some fair prices. From $40k on up.

My questions are;

1. What is considered TO MANY hours on the plane. Frame and Engine?

I'll def get an A&P to go thru it before buying.

2. Is there a place besides NTSB to double check damage to a plane?

I'll search here for a check list.

Rick

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Join AOPA, use those resources. Make it to where YOUR IA does the annual before purchasing, you know the IA your going to use from now on.

Get in contact with Jeremy Ainsworth http://www.maules.com/

chetharris
100+ Posts

Maule Brethren

Post by chetharris »

Rick,

I second talking with Jeremy. You can not go wrong if you heed his advice, even if you only get half of it the first time through. The rest may dawn on you later.

There is a pretty enthusiastic group of Alaskan Maule pilots. I do not think we sing that well, but I am almost certain we will give'r a hoot an holler around a camp fire. We certainly like to fish and hunt and fly around.

Enjoy taking the plunge. Be careful and always respectful and vigilant of the Maule's unique abilities and characteristics.

Welcome Aboard,

Chet

RocketRick

Thanks

Post by RocketRick »

Chet,

Thanks for the warm greetings. Don't worry 'bout the singing expertize. It's the fun that counts. Ha!. :) As long as the pups howl.

Background; Got license in '83..ANC>Homer>Fire Island>Talkeetna>ANC. Almost wrecked to..but training got me thru. :oops: IE., stall horn = give power.

Some time in 150, 152, Taylor Craft and 210. Heidi gave me some tailwheel time but that was in the 80's. Haven't flown much since. Gonna have to take it slow till I get that tailwheel down.

Rick

RocketRick

Might change my mind tho

Post by RocketRick »

Well been talking to lots of pilot folks and many really like the 180 with the STOL mods and other Ak mods installed. With the floats, skis and taildragger config you'd pretty well be covered huh?

I did learn in a Cessna.

Rick