New Muffler Exhaust System

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

New Muffler Exhaust System

Post by Green Hornet »

Hey Everybody,
Just Got this installed by Tim's Air.This is a modified field approval of the Maule system to be STC'd soon. Even Jeremy came by to check it out and he gave it the big thumbs up!
Bill

By sojorrn, shot with COOLPIX L1 at 2009-10-17

Last edited by Green Hornet on Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

It replaces the entire exhaust system? Headers and all? How much?

diebroke

Post by diebroke »

Bill that is one nice looking setup.

In regards to the clamps around the heat shields-why the starboard side towards the center and the port side on the ends?

Gary
1987 M5-235C

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

diebroke wrote:Bill that is one nice looking setup.

In regards to the clamps around the heat shields-why the starboard side towards the center and the port side on the ends?

Gary
Hi Gary,
After talking to Jeremy & Tim they recommended moving the hose clamps toward the center because they could vibrate off the shroud. I haven't had them fall off yet but since I did notice without screws the heat shrouds did move off center. With screws the shifting off center is not a concern. I still have a concern about the screws in the corners of the heat shroud because that is where the fatigue cracks were exhibited on the old shroud. I personally don't think the corner screws are necessary and I may take them out. The entire effort from my point of view is to make the System / Shrouds endure as long as possible and eliminate any concern over Carbon Monoxide or damage to the aircraft. Although others on this site do have the hose clamps on the ends of the muffler but without the corner screws.
Bill
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Suggest that you make sure to support the tailpipe in a manner that it can't twist as I put this system on mine about a year ago, first long trip the tailpipe twisted at bend area allowing contact with the cowl and burnt about a 2" hole in it.... The original mount at bottom of tailpipe and vibration encourages this situation and the old system has the tailpipes pinned at the muffler so that this can't happen. This new system does seem to illiminate the cracking tendencies though...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Green Hornet
100+ Posts

Post by Green Hornet »

aero101 wrote:Suggest that you make sure to support the tailpipe in a manner that it can't twist as I put this system on mine about a year ago, first long trip the tailpipe twisted at bend area allowing contact with the cowl and burnt about a 2" hole in it.... The original mount at bottom of tailpipe and vibration encourages this situation and the old system has the tailpipes pinned at the muffler so that this can't happen. This new system does seem to illiminate the cracking tendencies though...
Thanks Jim as a matter of fact I am on my way to the airport to get that very thing done with tight clamps so no twisting hopefully :wink:
1997-M7-235C, 540 I/O

WOC SPOT

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

nice looking set-up, Bill!
1975 Maule M5-210C

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:?:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

Exactly what Atlee has been doing for years?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

TomD
100+ Posts

Muffler

Post by TomD »

Not to get too far into the where and when on this, but I know I have happily been running one of Tim's improved muffler systems since May 2006 on my M5-235C

I think mine is Rev. 1.1 or 1.2 and there have been a number of improvements since.

W&B essentially did not change. I may have gained a pound.

TD

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Re: Muffler

Post by Hottshot »

TomD wrote:
Not to get too far into the where and when on this, but I know I have happily been running one of Tim's improved muffler systems since May 2006 on my M5-235C

I think mine is Rev. 1.1 or 1.2 and there have been a number of improvements since.

W&B essentially did not change. I may have gained a pound.

TD
Tim is great the system he is working on works well hope someday it will get certified...

Westberry

Exhaust

Post by Westberry »

I like the system, seems to solve the problem. Glad I don't have to reinvent the wheel here.
This forum is GREAT!
Most Bang for the Buck!

12nfas

maule exhaust

Post by 12nfas »

Hey guys,

New to the forum. I maintain a 1997 Maule MXT-7-180A since 1997 have had several instances where the aircraft has flown a max of 50 hrs. and a min of 17 hrs. and each time the exhaust has cracked. Cracks were found at the headers where the tailpipe meets the muffler and the actual tailpipe has cracked, all from vibration. Interested in info on a fix, recently heard about the ball joint placed in the system. Appreciate any input. Understand there has been field approval and possible STC for the 6 cylinder. Anyone gotten approval or STC for the 4 cylinder?

vaughans

exhaust

Post by vaughans »

PM Tim, He has a user name of TimB on this site, you can look him up in the memberlist. Tim maintains a lot of Maules and has been improving upon the exhaust systems for quite some time now.

vaughans

iceman
100+ Posts

Post by iceman »

I had this done about two years ago but only the ball part that goes into the muffler and it was done on the left muffler... the rest of the system was ok....
Iceman