3 blade MT

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
highroad

3 blade MT

Post by highroad »

Has the MT been field approved on any Maules that you are aware of? Heard of them on the Exp. Maules. Who doesn't what to loose 30'ish pounds off the nose?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I don't. Then when I load her up the CG would be so far aft it wouldn't fly right. Been there before, you know your there when the airplane won't trim in altitude, burn enough fuel off and your OK then. Why I don't like a 180 HP Maule.
Really what keeps me away from an MT other than the cost is that I don't want a wooden prop up there that will explode on the first good sized rock that goes through it. Seen that too on a Husky.
Would like to have Beta though.

mxt180

Post by mxt180 »

I don't have those CG problems with the tri-gear. Don't have those problems with the big rocks, either. :lol:

highroad

Post by highroad »

All valid points:
Keep in mind that I do not have experience other than a few rides in either model but from talking with several pilots, I have gathered that the 6 cyl. airplanes may be a bit more pleasant to fly at light weights with less weight on the nose.

Are the 6 cyl.'s at the front of the c.g. envelope when lightly loaded?
Is the battery location different on the 4cyl.? How is the extra nose weight of the big engine/prop conteracted?

Always a risk of taking a rock, but with extended gear and bushwheels I don't really think it is an issue.
The stainless leading edge on the MT's is pretty tough from what I have heard and holds up better to water/sand erosion than the metal props some say.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

On mine the battery is behind the baggage compartment.
Don't think I am near the front limit of the CG envelope, but pretty far up there unloaded
Without looking at a CG chart (I'm in Indonesia now and can't) Pretty sure almost everything you can put in the aircraft except the two front seats to include fuel etc., moves the CG aft. If you don't start out close to the forward limit, you can load out of the aft CG range pretty easily.
Bottom line I guess is we would need performance data on the MT prop to know if it is smart or not, Out of my price range though.
Where can you get extended gear? Didn't think any were available for a Maule.
I have a three blade Hartzell, which I think is the heaviest of the options.
In my opinion, unless you have to have a prop anyway, three blade isn't worth it

highroad

Post by highroad »

a64pilot wrote: Where can you get extended gear? Didn't think any were available for a Maule.
I was mistaken in thinking that AK Bushwheels HD gear was extended, its not.

For the certified aircraft, I don't know of one either.

Thanks for sharing your opinion a64pilot

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

highroad wrote:
I was mistaken in thinking that AK Bushwheels HD gear was extended, its not.
When they get extended gear and safety cables, I'll buy them. As is I would buy them only if I needed new gear. another opinion.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

The MT prop does work pretty good, but it's way overpriced, if overhaul or major repairs needed it's gotta go back to Germany, and on top of everthing even though they call it composite, it's wood! Don't know, but I feel a good 2 Blade will outperform the 3 Blade in most circumstances anyway? A64 is right about getting too light in the nose as most anything you put in the airplane moves CG aft, so best to be CG Fwd to start out. You asked about the 4cyl battery location which is on the front firewall. My MX7-180 is quite nose heavy contrary to what was stated earlier and will allow me to put just about anything I want in the back and still remain in envelope, which is nice. When light with low fuel, I've found that if I don't use full flaps, that I still have plenty of elevator left for landings or I can always just throw something with a little weight back against the aft bulkhead?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.