Flying M Ranch

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
chazdevil
100+ Posts

Flying M Ranch

Post by chazdevil »

Sorry if this has been covered. I've been out of the loop for a while. Is the Flying M Ranch still operational?

donknee
100+ Posts

Post by donknee »

Check out this link:
http://www.backcountrypilot.org/forum/v ... 818#p54745

There is some talk about the Flying M and how it is restructured. Turbo is cool! O2, fly high.
1976 M5-235-C

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Flying M

Post by chazdevil »

Thanks for the link. Sounds promising. Gonna push some pressure this weeknd. See how it goes.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Lots'a good memories of the flying M. I hope it continues under the new management!
Live it like its your last day.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Flying M

Post by chazdevil »

Memories for sure, wife and I got married there four years ago. It was cool having friends and their planes attend.

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Flying M

Post by chazdevil »

Well, the Flying M is up and running. They are primarily running the horse stable/ trail-ride experience. They have limited lodging as well. Barbara can be reached at 503-662-3222. She is starting to do breakfast on Sundays. Space and quantity is limited.
The runway has change a bit thanks to some Idiot who now runs the old lodge parking a trailer across "his" part of the runway. Barbara and Bryce have extended the approach a bit. It looks quite a bit shorter than it is. I'd say it's 1200' with a favorable slope each way.
I'll be visiting regularly showing my support. Well worth the trip. Coffee is always good.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Chaz, thankyou for Flying M update, how about a flying M5 report as well.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

M-5

Post by chazdevil »

Ahhh, M-5 update. Well, popped up to 10.5 to check the Turbo operation yesterday. What'dya know. It works. Twist the little black knob and Presto! Manifold pressure. It's like expensive magic. Ha!
I hope to get it up higher this weekend and I'll do some triangulated GPS runs for the numbers.
Start compiling the high elevation strips around here and I'll try them out. I'm going to head down to AZ with any luck this month and stomp around a bit as well.
I really like the three notch flaps, quite a bit more than the old Stinson that's for sure. It's interesting how much different the slow speed characteristics are than the lighter M-5 210. You do feel the weight.
I know, {feel free to hum the tune} Getting to know you......

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

You might want to try Coyote Flat west of Big Pine Lone Pine on your way to AZ. It is the highest strip in US beating Leadville by 80ft. Almost 10k.
Hopefully you got the elevater gapseals and VGs too.
Stop by this neck o the woods on your way south if you like.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

chazdevil
100+ Posts

Post by chazdevil »

Gap seals, check. Negative on the VG's. Man, everybody seems to be for them tho'.
Remember I'm a newbie. Where is your neck of the woods. :)

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Nthn CA, hit my signature link.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Dokmow

Post by Dokmow »

chazdevil wrote:Gap seals, check. Negative on the VG's. Man, everybody seems to be for them tho'.
VG's are some of the best money you can spend on your M5. I got mine from Wup at AK Bushwheels. They treated me right so that would be my recommendation. :)
M5-235C N9009E
My SPOT page

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Chaz, there's a reason on the VG's there have been many write ups but the summary is this; You won't slower and you won't go faster but the airleron control at low speed is amazing. I can do figure 8's at 15"MP and 45 mph on the GPS with full flaps. The input and response is crisp. The gap seal is the best $50 anyone can spend. They said it wasn't necessary on the M-4, "They" are wrong. May not have been necessary, but very effective.
Have a blast and give us some pictures!
Live it like its your last day.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

VG's look cool. Don't think they are worth a whole lot more, if you think they will make you a better pilot they won't, but if you take the money VG's cost and buy fuel with it, you will be a better pilot.
That's assuming of course your like me, you stop flying for the month when you run out of money :D