Continental IO 360 Hot CHT

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

belandd
100+ Posts

Continental IO 360 Hot CHT

Post by belandd »

My M5 -210 still seems to run hot. Both the CHT and the oil temp run near the top at normal cruise and at the red line during max power climb.

I have cleaned the oil cooler and made sure my baffeling is good.

Has any one added a lip to the lower cowel exit? Would this help?

I want to be on floats next summer and worry that I will be running too hot with the extra load.

Is there any issue with which cylinder the CHT or EGT goes to?

I am running the stock gages and wonder at their accuracy.
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:o
Last edited by MauleWacko on Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

belandd
100+ Posts

HOT

Post by belandd »

I think it has always been like this.
Valdez, AK.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Baffling at front and rear are important. Usually a 2" down angled lip will help. Sometimes the fibreglass is weak at the air egress and gets forced up in flight with ram-air. The lip will stiffen it and cause a more effective venturi draw,
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

jmtgt
100+ Posts

Post by jmtgt »

I changed the baffling (seals) when I got mine and saw some diff. I never get over 380 degrees with a red line of 440. The factory CHT always shows over 400 but my EI UBG 16 does not agree. I have never seen a CHT over 400 even on a 100 degree day.

I would follow Jeremy's advice and find a way to check that factory CHT. They suck!

my $.02.
J

Seaplane Maule

IO 360 running hot

Post by Seaplane Maule »

Just a quick note to make sure your fuel flows are set properly on the TCM fuel injection system

belandd
100+ Posts

HOT

Post by belandd »

Thanks
Valdez, AK.

cbcfly

Post by cbcfly »

I've been flying my M5-210 since I finished restoration in April. I didn't own it when it was flyable before, so I don't have old data to compare it to, but here's what I see now:

I'm flying in Mississippi in the summer. I've never seen over 380 and am usually around 350-360 as well. I have the JPI EDM-700, which displays each cylinder's EGT and CHT. My factory probe is on #5 (because of the up-gross weight mod) and it shows considerably higher - near redline. I'd suspect the gauge and possibly the baffle seal. I replaced the baffle seal at restoration. It had several large gaps where it fit poorly and buckled up. Get a flash light and a mirror and make sure you have a good seal all the way around the cowling.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

Duane,
I too have to work at keeping the CHT under control. I dont have any trouble with oil temp though. Perhaps it is the baffling. Or maybe our gauges just suck! I just ordered an oil pressure guage and a single CHT and probe from spruce to see where I'm at on those two items.

I give it a lot of fuel in the climb. I use a lower power setting at the lower altitudes in the climb if I can. Throttle positon on that simple system controls fuel flow as you know. So when I get up around five or six thousand feet where the throttle can go all the way in, it gets more fuel and cools better. I'm thinking mine could use a little adjusting.

At altitude I either go 75 ROP to keep temps down or go 40 LOP with cowl flaps cracked open a little. I like the LOP at altitudes above seven thousand.
Yeah, I have cowl flaps. Were on there when I bought it.

Mark
1975 Maule M5-210C

cbcfly

Post by cbcfly »

Cowl flaps?? Cool! Is the air dam that forms the egress tunnel flush now? Do you know if it makes much difference from the stock version speed-wise? Was it a field approval?

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

Not sure on the speed. Not flush, closed is about 2in open.
1975 Maule M5-210C

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

cbcfly wrote:Cowl flaps?? Cool! Is the air dam that forms the egress tunnel flush now? Do you know if it makes much difference from the stock version speed-wise? Was it a field approval?
That sort of like putting a spoiler on a pickup truck isn't it? :lol:
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

belandd
100+ Posts

Cowel Flaps

Post by belandd »

Yeah, what cowel flps?
Valdez, AK.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

I think it's time you shared some pictures with the rest of the class...... :?
Live it like its your last day.

SkyMaule
100+ Posts

Post by SkyMaule »

jmtgt wrote:I changed the baffling (seals) when I got mine and saw some diff. I never get over 380 degrees with a red line of 440. The factory CHT always shows over 400 but my EI UBG 16 does not agree. I have never seen a CHT over 400 even on a 100 degree day.

I would follow Jeremy's advice and find a way to check that factory CHT. They suck!

my $.02.
J
John, Which Cylinder runs the warmest? How much was the EI UBG? Do you like it?
1975 Maule M5-210C