Maule Autopilot selection

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Undaunted
100+ Posts

Re: Maule Autopilot selection

Post by Undaunted »

Which location of Duncan Aviation is interested in taking this on? Assuming the price is reasonable I would be happy to have them use my M7 as well for the STC.
1999 M7-235C

Brockporch

Post by Brockporch »

I’m on board to get one as well. I’m not too interested in the IFR portion, but to reduce workload and to save ones bacon if I bumbled into marginal conditions.

Allparg

Post by Allparg »

I am in also! M7. Wish Garmin would get on board since my panel is Garmin🙄. As asked previously which Duncan location? I Wrenched in Klnk many moons ago…

Ap

Dazza

Post by Dazza »

Hi Anyone looked at a Trio
They have an STC company to handle certifications. I have contacted them without success but if more people do maybe they may react
Experimental at present I have used one in a friend aircraft, very easy to use. Claim they have over 3000 in the field, Friend installed his 10 years ago
I would like one for long trips. Long distances in outback Aussie
WEGy from Down under

grub

Post by grub »

I have a Stec-20 in my 2000 MXT-7 maule. Its currently not flying so i inquired about moving the STEC-20 to the MX-7 we have. STEC said they would need $8000 minimum to check it out and re-certify it for the MX-7. AND, they will only work directly with a dealer so that means us A&P can't touch it and we will need to pay the dealer a little cash as well. So $10,000 for an autopilot that we own. Nothing like a monopoly to ensure profitability.......

The avionic arena needs competition. TruTrac was rocking along till Bendix King swallowed them up. Just like what Garmin did to Apollo. Trio still works with A&P but they may be the only one now.

Brockporch

Post by Brockporch »

Has there been any updates in this topic? I have been looking at options but none are worth getting excited about.

criley

Post by criley »

I too am waiting for any info on the GFC500. I currently have the S-Tec 50 in my "new to me" MT-7-235 and the only modern unit available is the 55x. I would much prefer the Garmin unit. I have been told that the Maules were designed with the autopilots to utilize the rudder and not the ailerons and apparently Garmin has done away with using the rudder for any lateral movement with the exception of course yaw damper. This is only what I have heard, so do not put any stock into it.

Brockporch

Post by Brockporch »

So I spoke with Honeywell (BendixKing) today. They informed me that they have zero intention of adding any additional aircraft models to the approved list. So I guess the Aerocruz is not an option, unless someone wants to go thru the process with their local FSDO. I talked to mine and was told that because it hasn’t been done on a Maule, lots of testing would be required which would cost a lot and the aircraft would be down for a lengthy time.