Oshkosh 2022 role call

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Allparg

Re: Oshkosh 2022 role call

Post by Allparg »

Will b there, Arriving Thursday… :D flying

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Not going to make Oshkosk this year but geeking out following along on LiveATC, ADS-B and the EAA live video feeds to get my fix. Just followed M7 N599ZZ virtually as they got routed to RWY 27 and when on downwind to 27 got told to follow the shoreline south over to RWY 36R essentially getting to circle the entire field before landing.
Fisk called them a "dual light highwing", north tower a "yellow taildragger" and finally south tower represented by calling them a "Maule".
I know there are more of you out there but this just happened to be the first Maule I spotted heading to the show while tuned in to the feeds so it was fun to follow along.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

That's Michael and Holly Harper.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

gdflys wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 10:52 am
That's Michael and Holly Harper.
Very cool, figured they would either chime in or someone in the Maule world would know the airplane. Hope everyone is enjoying the event!

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Well, that was AWESOME. Had a lot of fun at OSH. We ended up arriving Thursday night due to some very enjoyable tailwinds across the country. Arriving early meant I got a primo spot on the front row of vintage behind the Beech 18's. I met a couple other Maule'rs but didn't see too many arrive. To top it all off, I was just sent the award listings from EAA Vintage, and my lil ol' Maule won "Outstanding Maule" (although...I'm not sure if any others were up for judging! :D )

35 hours in the saddle from Squamish, BC to KOSH and back...and I'm already planning for next year.

Another Maule on arrival:

The final morning on the return home:

Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I found 3 other Maules while I was there, but didn't see you. With your campsite decorated the way is was, I don't know how I missed it! I was on row 521 in the North 40. Had a great time and made it through the Saturday night storm without any issues. My neighbors weren't so lucky. A lot of the bigger tents were destroyed by the wind.

First night was at Ryan Field in Montana:

Turning final for runway 27 with winds 200@17, gusting 24 knots. My sphincter was TIGHT

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Yeah, it seemed like the "glamping" chateau style tents did not fare well!

Your route is fantastic - we went a little more direct as the others I was flying with were keen to get there (their plane was in a booth). We did stop in Granite Falls, MN to see the Fagen Fighters museum on the way.

Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

gdflys
100+ Posts

Post by gdflys »

flyingBC wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 7:51 pm
Well, that was AWESOME. Had a lot of fun at OSH. We ended up arriving Thursday night due to some very enjoyable tailwinds across the country. Arriving early meant I got a primo spot on the front row of vintage behind the Beech 18's. I met a couple other Maule'rs but didn't see too many arrive. To top it all off, I was just sent the award listings from EAA Vintage, and my lil ol' Maule won "Outstanding Maule" (although...I'm not sure if any others were up for judging! :D )

35 hours in the saddle from Squamish, BC to KOSH and back...and I'm already planning for next year.

Another Maule on arrival:

That's a friend's Bearhawk here in CT. Here's some air to air video
https://youtu.be/_H1FvYqgPAw

Wow both of your flights there and back look almost as good as Oshkosh itself, maybe even better.
Greg Delp
1979 M-5-235C
CT
ATP, CFI, A&P/IA

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Flyhound, what an excellent trip. Great photos and route map. Thanks for sharing!

Kirk

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Flyhound, what an excellent trip. Great photos and route map. Thanks for sharing!

Kirk
The trouble with long cross country flights in the US is that there is SOOOOOO much to see! Picking a route is like trying to make a selection from a 12 page menu. There are amazing sights to fly over in every part of the US. After I landed I realized there were more amazing locations I passed over without realizing it. I flew almost directly over a Minute-man missile site that is now a historical museum/landmark. Maybe next time I'll have pictures of that as well, but probably not. I try and choose new routes on each long flight just to squeeze new sights in. My stop at Ryan Field in Montana was one of the highlights of the trip. I've never been to a backcountry strip that had hot showers before. They have propane fired flow-through hot water heaters in outdoor showers. They also offer rudimentary cabins that saved me the time of packing a tent the next morning. The RAF should be congratulated for all the fine work they are doing there. It was so nice, I almost didn't continue my trip to Oshkosh!

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

And leaving the Bob Marshall Wilderness in Montana took me over the "Chinese Wall". This formation defines part of the Continental Divide. The wall is 23 NM long and is an amazing sight to behold!

And here's the Gibson Dam on the Sun River coming off these mountains as you exit the wilderness

Like I said, there is a LOT to see in this country!

Brockporch

Post by Brockporch »

Gary, I’m glad to see you made it out of there. We left bright and early Wednesday morning and we’re back home to Wyoming a little after 2pm. Had to dodge a few storms but the trip easy.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

Hey Brock - It was a treat connecting with you, Nick and Spenser at Blue Earth on the way in. Quite the adventure huh! Maules will take us places most people don't even know to dream about. Keep 'er flying!

Gary

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

It's a bit repetitive, but I pulled some of my pictures and clips into a video of this trip: https://youtu.be/-ZEhEXUojKc

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

Dang Gary, didn’t realize you were there. I brought the C17 out. Was busy but would have liked to catch up. -Trebor