Flying In Alaska For The First Time!

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
AutoPilotof4

Flying In Alaska For The First Time!

Post by AutoPilotof4 »

Ok ok I’ll cut to the chase. Yes I’m flying in Alaska and it’s my first time but not in my Maule. Anyone who stops reading now I’ll understand why but while this isn’t a Maule-flying story it’s a Maule-pilot story so here it is. It all started back in 2018 talking to friends who had flown their own planes to Alaska from never before to 20 plus times. I didn’t even own my Maule then but knew I wanted to go asap. It was all talk for me that year and while we planned a trip in 2019 (I would copilot with someone else) the trip fell apart. We all know what happened in 2020 and 2021. We talked from this time last year to planning since the beginning of this year. We had 4 planes committed, 2 Tigers, a 172 and my Maule. Well I messed that up with a runway mishap in February and it’s still not repaired. I was offered a 172 but didn’t get my own paperwork together in time and we weren’t going to miss another year so we all flew commercial except for 1 Tiger pilot and her husband.
Anyway, we have been here a week and drove to 5 different airports the first full day we were here. I have never seen so many Maules! We couldn’t wait to rent a 172 to see the beautiful landscape here (and do some fishing). Our first flight was from Merrill Field to Seward then Homer and Kenai before returning to Merrill Field. The flight over glaciers was spectacular! Our second flight was from Merrill Field to Talkeetna then to Denali (no landings haha), Wasilla, Palmer, Birchwood and back to Merrill Field. There were Maules at every airport! We have 1 more flight planned from Merrill to Fairbanks then Fort Yukon with a couple stops at different airports on the way back.
If anyone has flown this route and has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated. While it’s relatively easy to plan with ForeFlight it’s not the same as actually having flown it already. This story will continue…

Thank you,

Marlin

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Re: Flying In Alaska For The First Time!

Post by flyusn99 »

If you're travels take you a little farther south and you want to explore let me know, I live in Juneau. My Maule is down south being upgraded from and M-5 to an M-6 at the moment but I have access to a buddy's 172 and can take you up if you're around. Enjoy the state! It is actually about 6 different states all in one with our varied topography and climates.

James
907-617-9568

AutoPilotof4

Re: Flying In Alaska For The First Time!

Post by AutoPilotof4 »

Thank you James! That’s an excellent offer and I would happily take you up on it but we won’t make it to Juneau this trip. My friends rented the same 172 again Sunday and flew from Merrill Field to Gulkana then to Valdez, over Whittier and Alyeska then back to Merrill Field. We hope to be able to get one more sightseeing flight in this week if the northern lights align! (That’s not near as likely this time of year). We did take a float plane lesson on Wednesday with Blue River Aviation that was awesome!