Valley of 10,000 Smokes

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Dkuber

Valley of 10,000 Smokes

Post by Dkuber »

Today was a day of great memories made.
Fought fog, winds picked up pretty good, wild fire smoke with fog, 7 thunderstorms and several detours to make this trip happen for my youngest. Took 30 gal as “safety fuel” (std 40 tanks) glad I did because all the fuel spots were LIFR after lift and that afforded us to finish the trip. We refueled at two different points after changing routes (buddies cabin and at 10k smokes) which gave us many more options without having to cross 100 miles open ocean. Hiked right around 13miles exploring. Total 6hrs flight time and 702 miles round trip (thank you 19hrs 14min daylight today) we were going to camp out there but when the winds picked up to 20+ we decided to move. In short Amazing, tiring but amazing!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valley_ ... and_Smokes

And, yes. If you work EMS, that is a “whale tarp” aka mega mover as my cargo net…
Pool noodles you may ask. Wind spoilers…. Have worked great thus far with a little para-cord. Much lighter than my mesh covers.

I am going to bed now…

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Valley of 10,000 Smokes

Post by Mog »

Your plane is my planes twin. Minus I have red wing tips and yours looks a bit cleaner.

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

Looks like an epic trip for sure! Thanks for the write up.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

Mog wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 7:20 am
Your plane is my planes twin. Minus I have red wing tips and yours looks a bit cleaner.
I did consider color on the tips. Basically just took the lazy route (aka wife said “done”). I do like the simplicity though, it has grown on me.
Not clean, just 2 year old paint.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

This is hilarious, I think I talked to you on the radio this morning about the weather as I was headed down into Katmai in a Beaver. I was on top helping a friend out who was below the layer and you reported wx from Amakdedori. Seems like I remember 34E? 34F?

Small world! Looks like a fun trip, we take stinsons down into the valley to hike with clients. Crazy place.

-Asa

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I recommend avoiding the ashstorms...

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

asa wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:13 pm
I recommend avoiding the ashstorms...

Yep I was worried about that, one of the reasons we bailed when the wind picked up.
Sharp looking Stinson.

Ended up giving quite a few PIREP’s that day.