Oshkosh 2022 role call

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
flyingBC

Oshkosh 2022 role call

Post by flyingBC »

I'm planning to fly out to Airventure this year from BC if the weather gods allow. Anyone else going?

I've been once before but haven't flown in or camped. I was thinking that Vintage parking would be best for camping? I'll have a lot of camera gear with me (I'm "working" at the show) so it seems quite central to the action. How do they fill the vintage parking area? ie. do they park early arrivers closest to the action?

Hope to catch up with some fellow Maulers!

Warwick

Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

whittakerw

Re: Oshkosh 2022 role call

Post by whittakerw »

50/50 here, I'd love to make it this year! Hoping to camp for the week. It would be great to meet some fellow Mauler's

Cash

Post by Cash »

They only allow Vintage Aircraft in Vintage parking and they do check FAA records to N number as you taxi in. Must be manufactured by December 31, 1070.
Flyrider

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

December 31, 1070.

Wow, that’s a looong time ago.

Kirk :lol:

DavZeeMXT

Post by DavZeeMXT »

Kirk wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:59 pm
December 31, 1070.

Wow, that’s a looong time ago.

Kirk :lol:
Daedalus Is the only one who can park there.
1997 Maule MXT-7-180A
Based KSFZ

Cash

Post by Cash »

Butter fingers. Made for good laugh! How about 1970
Flyrider

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I’ve been to the big show 6 times over the years. I flew myself in on 3 of those trips. Since lots of time passed between visits, it was a different plane each time. I had a blast each time. My last visit was in 2017 in my 2002 Maule MX7-180C. Since my plane is fairly new, I had to park in the North 40. I arrived on the Saturday before the show, so was able to park on the South side of runway 09/27. That’s the side of the runway where the action is (food, seminars, presentations, displays, vendors). Most of the planes that came in on the Sunday before the show were parked on the north side of runway 09/27 and that means a bus ride to get to the gates. You’re pretty isolated if you get stuck on the north side 0f 09/27. If you arrive on Sunday afternoon, there is a good chance the parking will be full and you’ll be turned away. Be sure your plans include arriving early.

I planned to fly my Maule back last year, but forest fires and TFRs littered the reasonable passes through the Rockies from Seattle. I cancelled my trip as a result. It seems the fires and the summer weather keep getting more extreme each year. Add to that the sky-high prices for avgas and you really have to be dedicated (or crazy) to make the trip in a small plane. That said, I am making plans to try again this year. If severe weather or forest fires cover my flight plan options, I have no qualms about backing out again.

If I do make it, I’ll post my parking spot # on this thread and will look forward to meeting other Maule Rats there. Keep your fingers crossed for good weather, no fires and great flying.

Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Cash wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 9:21 am
They only allow Vintage Aircraft in Vintage parking and they do check FAA records to N number as you taxi in. Must be manufactured by December 31, 1070.
Yeah, mine is a '65 so Vintage is an option. Will probably arrive early Saturday. Trying to decipher whether vintage or N40 is better... I will be partially working during the event (photo & video) so I'd like to be somewhat close to my airplane (charging, gear swaps, etc.).
Warwick Patterson

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Flyhound wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 5:58 pm
Add to that the sky-high prices for avgas and you really have to be dedicated (or crazy) to make the trip in a small plane.
I think I fall under both those headings! I'd be flying out from BC, so its a long way for me too...but I think i've got to do it at least once! Fingers crossed for no fire smoke in July.
Warwick Patterson

krmpilot42

Post by krmpilot42 »

I plan on flying my M4 or my friend has bought an RV7A and may want to fly it. We will be there on Saturday or Sunday, good to know about the parking. Last year in the Cirrus we parked at Appleton. This year we have an invite to stay at a private home in Fond du Lac but really want to camp and experience KOSH.
Commercial, Instrument, CFI

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

I've been there about 23 times over the last 29 years, flying my RV-8 (at the time) twice. Always camped both when driving and flying.

My wife and I will be flying our '79 M5-235C in this year and will arrive (probably) the Thursday or Friday before the show and park in the North 40. We want to be as near to Homebuilt Camping as possible as we will have some friends parking there.

We have full size folding bikes (Montague Navigators) so we will be able to bring our bikes as well as our camping gear. This will be a game changer for us as fly-in campers as it will make it a LOT easier to get up into Camp Scholler to visit other friends as well as over to the Pick 'n Save for food and .... adult refreshments :-)
IMG_20190804_084906363.jpg
IMG_20190804_084906363.jpg (191.62 KiB) Viewed 5829 times

Hope to see lots of you folks (and, of course, your airplanes) at the show....
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

rv8bldr wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 5:33 am
Hope to see lots of you folks (and, of course, your airplanes) at the show....
We'll have to create a "Maule's at OSH" post closer to the date so we can find each other!

When you fly and camp, I assume the earlier you arrive, the closer you are to the action?
Warwick Patterson

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

flyingBC wrote:
Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:14 pm
When you fly and camp, I assume the earlier you arrive, the closer you are to the action?
Yep, that's right. The field REALLY starts to fill up Saturday and Sunday, especially when the scheduled mass arrivals of Bonanzas, Mooneys, etc start to come in. The east end of the North 40 is probably the noisiest place to be for aircraft noise given that it is close to the Warbirds and right beside 09/27. But that is why we are there, right ? :D
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Just over a week to go!
Currently planning my route from BC, through Alberta and then down into the northern usa.

Anyone else putting the final touches on their Oshkosh planning?
Warwick Patterson

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

Driving in with the wife and kids.
TJ Van Matre