Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Spiff

Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Post by Spiff »

I need a new tailwheel tire for my M4-180V. They all seemed to be made in Commie China or Commie Vietnam. Aren't there any tailwheel tires made in the US?
Can't we at least get some made by children in Bangladesh? Any ideas? I called Specialty Tires of America and they admitted that even though their website proudly says their tires are made in the U.S.A., their tailwheel tires come from China. Last time I bought one from Desser that they claimed was U.S. made, said "made in China" right on the sidewall. What do you all use?
Last edited by Spiff on Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

asa
100+ Posts

Re: Non Commie Tailwheel tire

Post by asa »

Bless your heart

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Spiff wrote:
Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:04 pm
I need a new tailwheel tire for my M4-180V. They all seemed to be made in Commie China or Commie Vietnam. Aren't there any tailwheel tires made in the US?
Can't we at least get some made by children in Bangladesh? Any ideas? I called Specialty Tires of America and the admitted that even though their website proudly says their tires are made in the U.S.A., their tailwheel tires come from China. Last time I bought one from Desser that they claimed was U.S. made, said "made in China" right on the sidewall. What do you all use?
I think you’re on the wrong site.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Buying USA is a good thing but let's keep this site free of political commentary.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

netconn

Post by netconn »

I think it's patriotic. Buy American and DEMAND American

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I believe the phrasing is what gets people. Doesn’t bother me as I don’t take life that seriously but some people do. Always nice to buy domestic if possible no matter who the person is that actually makes it.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

I don’t see any reason to perceive wanting to support our own country over one of the worst players on the world stage as objectively political If we all had been more patriotic with our purchasing habits previously we wouldn’t be in the mess now of being dependent on inferior products made in China.
I just received an order of SCAT duct from a major aircraft supply house ( Name withheld to protect the guilty) . It was absolutely the poorest quality material I’ve ever seen, quite frankly I’d be shocked if it was in fact air worthy ( not really sure how the FAA inspection process works, but I doubt they inspected this stuff). When I spoke with customer service about the extremely low quality of the duct the very nice lady told me that currently this is all that’s available and that it came from China and asked me if I’d like to get on the back order list for the AMERICAN MADE product along with most everyone else who had received the same product :shock: She also shared that there’s no anticipated receiving date for the quality American made product. :evil: :evil:

So before it’s too late indeed, by all rights at least ask if there’s an American made option . Kinda sorta like buy your spare and replacement parts from Maule as opposed to the giant automated online places.
So shop with the little guy first and often or heaven help us when the only option becomes the automated online which gets most of what they sell from you know where.
The best Government, is less Government.

Quadrider13

Post by Quadrider13 »

Contact.
pictures@larrymayer.com
He was putting out a solid tailwheel tire with made in the USA stamped in big letters on the sidewall. I had one on my 7gcbc and really like it. Its been a few years ago so not sure if he still does.
https://flyhusky.com/forum/index.php?th ... ires.1659/

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Make your own tire if it's that important to you!
Spiff wrote:
Can't we at least get some made by children in Bangladesh? Any ideas? I called Specialty Tires of America and they admitted that even though their website proudly says their tires are made in the U.S.A., their tailwheel tires come from China. Last time I bought one from Desser that they claimed was U.S. made, said "made in China" right on the sidewall. What do you all use?
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Rezrider wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 am
Make your own tire if it's that important to you!
Spiff wrote:
Don’t tempt me with a good time!

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Thanks for the tip! I will check on that solid one and see if it is still available! I'll let you know if it pans out.

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

The tire came in the mail. It looks pretty cool. I'll put it on soon. Thanks again for the tip!!

Quadrider13

Post by Quadrider13 »

Awesome!! Good to know he's still selling them.

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

I put in on today and tested it out. It is perfect. Better ground handling than I had before and no thump crossing cracks in the pavement like some truly solid tailwheels. This one is foam and bounces . This one acts like a pneumatic tire but won't go flat. I think they have a winning design here. No shimmy on takeoff or landing or anything. All in all excellent product so far at least. Thanks again for the lead. Made in the U.S.A. and seems to be very good. A responsibly sourced, free range, fat free and flat free, vegan, non dairy tailwheel tire.

yanknbank

Post by yanknbank »

He's not having them made anymore. I bought a few from him just to have spares. If you like it that much, you might consider buying a spare too. It'll probably last a full engine tbo as it is, but I don't want to go back to pneumatic because I can't find an alternative when his stock dries up. I've had one on my pacer for 6 years. Still in great shape.