New guy from TX and new to Maules

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
A12pilot

New guy from TX and new to Maules

Post by A12pilot »

Greeting Folks!

I just joined up to find out more about these awesome planes! I’m actively looking and will be bombarding everyone with questions shortly and I’m looking forward to hearing everyone’s thoughts. A little about me....

Like a bunch, I’m a current Airline Pilot and have just got back into GA. I reinstated my CFI ratings earlier this year to get my head back in the game. Meanwhile, I’ve been flying my friend’s 310Q around a bunch and loving it. Then about two weeks ago, one of our retired pilots and good friend of mine gave me the TW endorsement in his Stinson 108-3 and I got hooked on them ever since! I’ve been scouring for Stinsons and then that lead into exploring Maules.

What attracted me to them was a lot of things. This will be my first aircraft purchase. I got real close on a few 310s but decided against them for several reasons. I have access to one whenever I want, so i really don’t need my own. That’s a “get somewhere” plane. But with that, I wanted the “fun” flying of a TW with the ability to actually “get somewhere” not only in speed but in performance. The 108 is a cool plane, very capable, but cruises pretty slow. Seems like the Maule’s hit all the buttons.

I’m building TW time in the 108 right now, so I’m curious about insurance, maintenance costs, and handling of these planes. Looking forward to the search and finally landing my own!

Thanks guys,

Cheers,
Dave

andy
Site Admin

Re: New guy from TX and new to Maules

Post by andy »

Welcome to the Maule Forum! There's a ton of good information about Maules on the forum. The search engine is pretty good so I would start there. If you can't find what you want, then post your questions. One of the great things about this forum is that Maule pilots and owners help one another without putting anyone down for not knowing something basic. The amount of Maule knowledge on the forum is incredible - far more than any other site. We're also free of advertising and spammers.

Since this is your first aircraft purchase and you're looking for a tail wheel Maule, insurance and low Maule time are going to be your challenges. Insurance companies are in a down market right now and rates are quite high for the tail wheels. They put tail wheel Maules in a separate risk pool which is relatively small. We recommend that you get as much dual instruction as possible with a qualified Maule instructor. There are several referrals on this forum.

Maule maintenance costs are fairly low compared with something like Cessna tail wheel airplanes. Parts are less expensive. The airplanes are rugged. The most vulnerable parts are the exhaust systems. Because they are used a lot in back country flying, the landing gear takes some attention due to the beating it gets on off-airport landings. That's also something to look at when you are searching for insurance.

Handling is very similar to other tail wheel aircraft with a few exceptions. The Maule wings and flaps are very high lift and drag. The tail is heavier than most other comparable tail draggers. The fuselage and vertical stabilizer have a fairly large profile for cross-winds to push against. The rudder has a servo tab coupled to the ailerons for spin resistance but it also requires slightly different pilot responses in banks. Many Maules have a negative flap setting to gain a few knots of airspeed in cruise.

Good luck on your search. There are lots of Maules in TX and many of the owners are on this forum so it's a good way to connect with them.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Andy is spot on;
The knowledge on this forum and the intent of the patrons to help is beyond any forum I'm on.

The Maule is a unique bird in the it can be flown at 40 mph or 155 mph. It will haul almost anything you can stuff in the rear baggage, and still stay in the air longer than most folks bladders will allow.

It is a hoot of a plane, and after some practice with spot landing and descent control, will allow you to land most any place you desire.

I like to send anybody interested in Maules to Patrick Romano's YouTube channel, "Backcountry Aviation". He is by no means the only expert you will run across, as this forum is loaded with knowledge, it's just that he presents a visual impression of the Maule's capability.

I'm in West Texas south of Midland, and if your down this way, would be glad to show you an M7-235.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

I am fairly new to Maules too. I have owned my M4-180V for about a year and a half. It handles differently than anything else that I have flown but I love it. It isn't hard to fly, just different. Don't underestimate how cool it is to be able to call up the factory, talk to a real person and get answers or parts right away. Before I bought mine I jumpseated down to Georgia and took a tour of the factory. They treated me very well and made me feel like part of the family. My dealings with them since have been very pleasant. Just my two bits worth.

A12pilot

Post by A12pilot »

Great info, thanks guys! Yes, been doing a bunch of research and seems like these are exceptional planes with their own quirks, not unlike most though.

Looking forward to learning more!
Cheers
Dave

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

One thing I forgot to mention that I feel is different about the Maule, is that it is always and I mean always reacting to the air around it.

I have previously owned a 1958 Cessna 182 and currently also own a 1948 170. Both of those planes could be pointed at the runway and they would just lead me down to touchdown. My M7-235 is not this way, it is always in a state of unrest.

I know that this sounds bad, but it is not. This live feel is something I like and I also believes it helps the pilot.
The Maule is not a plane for passive control, it must be made to mind, and you will learn to love the rudder.

Jeremy said on here somewhere, and I apologize for the jacked up quote; if you want a Maule to do something make up your mind and make it do it.

Here is an example of a landing at Possum Kingdom Lake. It's a typical hot windy day in Texas. Wind was across the lake from the left, and as I had not landed here before, my original intent was to land over the fence in the grass into the wind. As I got closer, I felt like I could see some drainages in the grass, so my next thought was to let the hangars block some of the crosswind. I wanted to make sure to at least get to them and to be able to get stopped behind them. Even with the stall warning on, the Maule can be maintained in a safe stable descent until a small bit of power can be added to smooth out the crash.

https://youtu.be/8_gblcmX4aU

Anyway, as most of us malcontents believe, I Love my Maule. :)
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

My Maule's controls are much lighter than the 1985 Cessna A185F that I used to fly for work or than the Cessna 180 amphib that I used to fly. They are comparable to a Super Cub or Citabria. Landing the 185 felt like driving a truck without power steering. The Maule's controls are so light that small movements make a difference. It takes a bit of getting used to since you are constantly dancing on the controls in a gusty crosswind landing but the response to control inputs is much quicker.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krmpilot42

Post by krmpilot42 »

I had 830 hours, commercial/instrument ASEL, 30 hours tailwheel with endorsement. Bought a 2007 M7180V end of July. Highest quote was $6000 and 5 hours dual by Avemco, best quote was $4400 with Assured for $110k hull insurance, $3800 for $85k, 10 hours in model which is tough because not many M4 180Vs. Luckily owner was a CFI and helped with my 10 hours of dual. I did 10 hours with Rick Geiger at Montana by Air, he is amazing but insurance would not factor in the training as time in model, he has a M7 160hp and a M6 235hp. I now have 70 hours, love the M4 and working on my CFI and want to buy a M7 235. Hope this helps. Reaching out to a Az Assoc pilot I met this weekend that swears on his ND insurance agent. I will get you a name RKM.
Commercial, Instrument, CFI

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Like said, insurance broke won’t especially be your friend but what an airplane. If you truly enjoy flying an airplane and (after some time) feeling like you are a part of it you will truly love the Maule. Stable enough to fly with your feet only in good air and enough control to put about any where. Regularly fly into the northeast with customary IFR reroutes and no autopilot while doing it from our little old backyard strip.

krmpilot42

Post by krmpilot42 »

Recommended insurance broker Northstar Insurance, N Dakota. 701-235-2041. Drop the name Jim Knapp form Crawford ,CO and Casa Grande, AZ.
Commercial, Instrument, CFI

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Welcome to a group of true aviators!
I was blessed to fly a M5 in my youth towing banners as well as Scouts, Pawnees and "Tow Cubs". I also ventured to Moultrie for several factory deliveries when they were really cranking out new airplanes. It truly was "love at first flight". BD Maule himself when flying alongside and evaluating my Maule prowess for a delivery to MT said "Son if you can fly my airplanes, you can fly anything!" True enough, even the F16 and other "complex Jets" seemed easy comparably and still do. Maule is also a family business, one still producing aircraft when many others have failed. When I need a part I call Kasey and it's shipped that day. Try that with anyone else...I also got a happy thanksgiving text from Brent (Maule) yesterday, guess I'm family too..

I now own an M5-180 nearly identical to one I towed banners with and am at TX32 if you ever want a $100K ride. 8)

V/R
Smokey
smokyray@rocketmail.com