T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Dkuber

Re: T3 Tailwheel Suspension

Post by Dkuber »

I talked with airframes last month about the t3 on a Maule. They told me to find a guy (they gave me his name just don’t want to throw it out there) that works in ANC for one of the cargo companies, said he has a field approval on his m5. Just haven’t followed through yet. I hope to follow up at some point when the coin purse is a little heavier.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

PM Sent
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I know a guy with a field approval for an M-7. He loves it.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Be really cool if some of us had a good example to get our own field approval! 8)
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

The T3 tailwheel looks awesome but your airplane has to be in the experimental category even with a field approval. Unfortunately, that won't work for me. It's probably too much of a hassle and too expensive for the manufacturer to pursue a STC.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

andy wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:50 am
The T3 tailwheel looks awesome but your airplane has to be in the experimental category even with a field approval.
I think this is incorrect. Why would this be different than any other field approved modification on a certified airplane and why would an experimental ever need a field approval?

Here is a page from a 337 from an M7-260 with T3 in case it helps anyone. Dan also has them for huskys, Cubs, C170’s, and scouts.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I’m having a hard time understanding the advantage of the T3. It seems like it would only be an advantage on rough, uneven surfaces, but most of us that land on those surfaces use bushwheels on the mains. So equipped, the tail wheel doesn’t touch down until the plane is nearly at a stop (tail-low wheel landing, then on the brakes, yoke back, modulating the brakes to keep the tail up, but not so high as to risk a prop strike). Or are some folks coming in really nose-high, and landing on the tail wheel first, even with Bushwheels?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I often come in very nose high and touch the tail first but then transition to the mains. And if you are heavy you will most certainly drag your tail for a bit before your tail flies. But that said, I love my main suspension and Bush wheels when taxing. A T-3 tailwheel will only make that massively better.

So, I see them as being a huge asset and I wish I could justify one right now.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Pretty much eliminates the shopping cart issue on pavement as well, from what I have been told.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Dkuber

Post by Dkuber »

I could see a benefit. I would shoot for Acme mains first though.
I can land shorter when I come in and flare nose high (slight throttle <1500) hitting the tail wheel first and letting the plane sink to the mains when lift is gone. Then hard brakes just barely lifting tail with full back yoke.
I have tried the low tail wheel landing, which I prefer for beaches (esp when sloped).

I am low time 230-ish hrs all in this plane and 95% backcountry in AK.
Take what I say with a grain of salt.

M4-220 ext gear &31’s

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I can definitely see the benefit if you like tail-first landings, as the T3 would help reduce the impact to the airframe.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I was wanting to put the T3 on my Maule to help with the rough stuff when I do have the tail on the ground. It's not that I like one way or the other better and I still land in both configurations, but I do feel way more comfortable when I land in a bumpy area and have my tailwheel on the ground.

I have watched "mauleguy" videos until they're burnt into the back of my head, and still do not like the felling of bouncing around with my tail in the air, the way he does. I have tried.

I have watched the T3 in action on multiple planes, and is does take the bounce out of the tail.
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

flyfish1

Post by flyfish1 »

I am definitely interested in getting a field approval for my M4-220. If anyone has a 337 for a Maule or other types I would appreciate a copy. I'm hoping it wont be a long drawn out process. Thanks, I appreciate any advice on the process.
flyfish1

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

I am, well my mechanic is working on getting me one. As soon as it's done I'll share.
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Let's not forget that the T-3 also allows adjustable spring preload as well as adjustable compression and rebound dampening. For the suspension tuners out there...