M4-180V Two to Four?

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
Smokyray

M4-180V Two to Four?

Post by Smokyray »

Guys, can a M4-180V be converted to 4pl via 337 or field approval? Possibly does it fall under the type certificates of all other models which are already 4 place?

Anybody done it?
Thanks!
Smokey

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Re: M4-180V Two to Four?

Post by TxAgfisher »

There is no mod kit do make it 4 place, would likely be a very difficult field approval to get as well.
TJ Van Matre

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Thanks!

grub

Post by grub »

Structurally, the 2place M-4 vs the 4place M-4 are very similar. While there are no “Mod” approved by Maule to currently convert, it wouldn’t be a hard process, except for the paperwork. Because they didn’t make very many 2place models, I don’t see them dedicating the time to develop a mod. That being said, those 2place models are cool!

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Grub,
Yessir they are!
The M5 180 I towed banners with in my youth might as well been 2 place as it never had a back seat (that I saw) installed. The rear baggage bulkhead cover was also removed in lieu of a easily removed stretch cargo net. Additionally there was a nylon mesh stretched across the aft fuselage floor aft to the battery box which allowed 5-7' long banners and support equipment to be easily carried without touching control cables.
I remember it could outrun, out haul and easily match towing ability with our Scouts with the same engine and was IFR capable. My current M5 180 still delivers amazing utility and fun for the buck.

Hard to beat, even now...😎
V/R
Smokey