Best lightweight com

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
andy
Site Admin

Re: Best lightweight com

Post by andy »

TSO and PMA parts standards have always confused me. I guess that I'm not alone. My simple rule to avoid FAA and insurance problems is to use components that comply with FAA TSOs for certified aircraft if a TSO exists. If a TSO doesn't exist, then I buy a PMA'd component. The installer determines where a TSO'd component can be used on an aircraft. The manufacturer determines where a PMA'd component can be used on an aircraft. A TSO'd component must only meet the FAA's minimum technical standards. The manufacturer of a PMA'd component must prove to the FAA that it equals or exceeds the OEM component it replaces.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

I had an X-Comm Radio (2-1/4 hole) and Trig Transponder in my RV6 (and previous RV4) Both fit in 2-1/4 holes, are light and reliable. Trigs Comm radio is excellent as is the Becker. Another contender is the MGL V6, lots of good reviews in the RV community.
When my Jurassic KX155 croaks I'm buying one of these two.

https://www.chiefaircraft.com/mgl-v6.html

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/ ... ar6201.php

V/R
Smokey

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I emailed by PMI this morning to ask for his take on this subject. For the record, he’s always been extraordinarily helpful, and has signed off several field approvals for me recently.

Edit to clarify, for those unfamiliar: a PMI (Principal Maintenance Inspector) is an FAA inspector focused on the airworthiness/maintenance end of things. In my role as an IA, he’s the guy I interact with at the FAA.

Here is his reply:

All equipment installed in certified aircraft must be TSO'd or have a PMA. A good read of CFR Part 21, 23 and 43 will lay foundation to this...
As far as installing said equipment, it is a good practice to complete a 337 for all installs, but not a requirement if you are doing a direct replacement or adding a second/backup equipment. Reference AC 43.13-1B & 43.13-2B for guidance. As always, a logbook entry and update to equipment list is required.