autopilot

IMPORTANT: For private sales only please, no commercial sales. If you want to sell your airplane, please just post a link to a website or barnstormer etc on here. To post a classified item, you NEED to use the format described in the "sticky" (first post), otherwise your posts will be automatically deleted
Ryan in Georgia

autopilot

Post by Ryan in Georgia »

looking for a little help on cc and vmc times with an autopilot.
Trying to wait on the g500 or the truetrack to certify is not fun anymore.
Im would consider putting them in and going exp at this point.
If anyone has the stec or centry in good shape with all the parts they want to sell im a buyer.
As long as there are tests in school there will be prayer in schools.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: autopilot

Post by Andy Young »

“Going experimental” is not a simple exercise. The FAA requires you to make some very significant changes to the aircraft (like a different wing and a lengthened fuselage, for example) before they will consider letting you re-register it as experimental.
Essentially, the 51% rule applies, much like it does for construction of home-built aircraft.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Exhibition Experimental is not a hard thing to achieve. But it can become limiting to a degree.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Mog wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:07 pm
Exhibition Experimental is not a hard thing to achieve. But it can become limiting to a degree.
True. Here’s an article on that:

https://aviation.stackexchange.com/ques ... l-aircraft

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

If you know what your looking for and have a qualified (certified) installer, you can find almost anthing on Ebay. There are S-tec 55X systems on there all the time. I have seen some nice looking systems for 6 to 10K. But this is not a do it your self project. If done wrong it can kill you.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Ryan in Georgia

Thanks,
If anyone has an autopilot or installed let me know.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Didn't TruTrak install their autopilot on a Bonanza and put it into the "Experimental" category during the certification process? I would imagine someone could do the same for a Maule until all the data was collected and submitted to TruTrak and if all goes well they would simply add that Maule configuration to the AML on their STC. Essentially you wold be doing the data collection during the experimental period at your expense but I imagine it would be considerably less expensive than buying a new STEC. Just an idea...
M5

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

You can do that under exhibition class. It would be advisable to coordinate with TruTrak to have the airplane at a Flyin or two as a “display”.

Ryan in Georgia

I talked to the original owner of truetrak Andrew Baker at an AOPA event in Tullehoma a year or so ago.
He said they would be wide open to maule certification but needed maule to contact them about it. He wanted to make sure he could get enough interest out of it.
When i went to the maule and all fly in in told Brent about my conversation with Andrew and he said he would look into it. Cricketts for over a year now. Thats why i brought it up here.
I bet if we could get enough people here to sign up it could work here thru us. Or somehow get maule interested enough to help us while helping themselves.
They need a digital autopilot for their new planes badly.

johnmo61

Post by johnmo61 »

I'm in for my M4.