Super Skylight: Try to talk me into it.

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Super Skylight: Try to talk me into it.

Post by Andy Young »

I expect to be re-covering my M-6-235 this winter. I currently do not plan to add a super skylight, even though this would be the logical time to do it.

Here are my reasons for not doing it:

1. I’ve had skylights in other planes, and found that I kept them covered (from the inside) the vast majority of the time, to keep the hot sun off of me and the cabin. I rarely found the desire or need to look out the roof; most of what I want to see is below me.

2. I don’t have a headroom problem, being 1.75 metres (5’ 9”) tall.

3. While it might increase resale value, I doubt it would do so above and beyond what it would cost to install, at least not by enough to make it worth the bother.

Ok, so what am I missing? From those of you that have them and love them, please tell me why I really should do it, given my viewpoints above (if you think I should).

At this point I’m comfortable with my decision, but thought I’d take advantage of the experience of others to see if I’m failing to consider something important.

Plus this forum has been a bit quiet lately. ;-)

Thanks for your input.

andy
Site Admin

Re: Super Skylight: Try to talk me into it.

Post by andy »

I felt exactly the same way when Maule Flight rebuilt my Maule in 2010, Andy. It would have cost about the same as a new interior, which I badly needed. I've owned several cars with sun/moon roofs and I ended up never using them due to the hot sun issue.

The skylight in a Maule would give better overhead visibility for traffic above me, but I can also tip a wing and look up. That's a lot less expensive than the skylight. I'm not tall either so headroom isn't an issue.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Some Maule owners like the skylight to mount cameras and other devices on the exposed tubing. I think the v-tubes over the glare shield are enough for that. I don't like the idea of banging my head on stuff above me in severe turbulence either.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Dale Smith

Post by Dale Smith »

I have the Sky Light in my M5. It was that way when I bought it. I do not have a shade for it, but there are Thin tinted plexiglass inserts that some one previously clipped to the bottom to help with glare. I don't notice an issue with the sun. I Don't know of a time where I used the sky light and though I couldn't live with out it though. the exposed tubbing is nice. I can actually mount a full size I pad on a ram mount up there and still have the entire panel open and still an I pad. I don't put it up there if I have someone in the passenger seat though. It would fit just fine with my wife in the plane, just don't want something that could potentially fall on someone's head. during recover would be the best time to do it for sure. Its all about dollars though.
No great story started with a good idea...

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I like the larger/second iteration of the skylight with automatic roller blind. If I was re- covering a Maule I would fit it.
It is easy to cover up when sun is too hot/bright. Advantages are headroom, spacious feeling, more safety in pattern from those above, in canyons much easier to see the walls, clearing and observation turns can be viewed from beneath a raised right wing but also out top and above the lowered right wing. (the opposite side for those flying right seat).
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Howdy,

As this is personal taste, depends on your style of flying, I have the 1/2 skylight and enjoy it.
1. Offers a bigger cabin effect.
2. Offers a brighter interior.
3. Allows access to the v-bars for grabbing for ingress/egress.
4. Allows sighting for clearing turns, especially those close to airport and tight areas.
5. I use my Rosen visors to block sun if an issue.
6. Re-sale value higher.

If I were to recover again, I would do it! To me it’s worth it. I might also consider the full skylight, but use the shade to cover up to above my head. The reason is, I don’t need the head room, but when my 6’3” son rides right seat, the half skylight doesn’t help clearance issues.

Lastly, I suggest you weld on the square tube adder behind the speaker area for conversion to newer flap system, if you don’t have it already. Also the bosses for rear seat belt shoulder mounts, float fittings, rear grab handles both sides, rear heat flange in floor if missing and center attach mount for back seat belts if you currently have one lap belt system.

Oh, I forgot one big one, get rid of the eye poker antenna and mount an internal to rear fuselage.

Have fun with your project, I used the Stewart System to recover and did the work in basement. I would suggest that system, no nasty to contend with, or smell worth worrying about.

Tom

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Skylight just makes the airplane feel larger inside.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

gbarrier wrote:
Sat Aug 08, 2020 7:54 am
Skylight just makes the airplane feel larger inside.
This, I need this!!! Wonder how hard it would be to fit without recovering.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I installed one and while I mostly keep it covered with the roller shade, there are times when I really enjoy having it. I use when I am below canyon walls (which is a lot up here) and when in congested airspace as it helps to clear turns. It also gives more head space and allows access to the crosbraces to get in and out of the plane and something to grab onto during those bumpy rides! I like it. Though I use it less than I thought I would, I would probably install it again.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Thanks everybody,

I appreciate the thoughtful input.

Stumpwater

Post by Stumpwater »

I had an M4-180v years ago and it had the super skylight with retractable shade. I agree with the above opinions about better visibility in a turn and extra head room. My current Maule has what I guess is the half skylight mentioned above. I’m 6’ 1” and my head rubs on the edge of the half skylight. If you have the retractable cover, if memory serves me right, you still have extra room.

Out of curiosity what’s the cost of installing one? Maybe I need one! 😆
Shiloh

HeavyLoad
100+ Posts

Post by HeavyLoad »

I'm curious what 1/2 super skylight looks like? And is that cheaper or easier to install?
===========
M5-210C
RV6

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

HeavyLoad wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:16 pm
I'm curious what 1/2 super skylight looks like? And is that cheaper or easier to install?
Here is what my 1/2 skylight looks like. Pretty much half way between windshield and door post. Was already installed when I picked the plane up so can't speak to installation/cost.

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

My M7 also has the 1/2 Skylight.

It came with a piece of headliner material that has velcro sewn all around the edges. I can easily place the cover over the skylight if it's too hot. Even down here I normally keep the skylight uncovered. I like being able to look over the wing in turns. For this reason, I'm assuming I would like the full skylight with the rolling cover.
Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/

Stumpwater

Post by Stumpwater »

I really liked the rolling cover and full skylight. Given the option, would be my preference.
Shiloh