Interior / headliner

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
G21pilot

Interior / headliner

Post by G21pilot »

Hi everyone,

I’m a new owner of a 68 M4-210. The headliner was in poor shape and I’ve been flying without it. I’m wondering if anyone has built panels instead? There is way more room without it in the plane. I wonder if anyone could share pictures of what you’ve made or of a later model interior to give me some ideas?

Thanks!

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Interior / headliner

Post by Mog »

I installed a new headliner from Aircraft spruce. It is wool and light grey in color. It really looks nice when you get it installed and shrunk into place. I did have issues with figment at the back corners though.

All that said, I kinda wish I had just left it out all together some times. The real ticket would be a super skylight and partial head liner.

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

Just saw your pics on the other thread. If my frame looked like yours I would leave the headliner out.

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

G21,
I've got one of the aftermarket headliners that Mog mentioned that I'm pulling out of my M-5. Its in good shape other than a few mold stains (since my M-5 is on floats most of the time the wool is perfect for growing mold, thus my decision to pull it) If you want it for a template you can have it for $100. If you got it dry cleaned the mold stains would most likely come out. Not sure if that interests you but if so just let me know.

James

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

Mog wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 pm
I installed a new headliner from Aircraft spruce. It is wool and light grey in color. It really looks nice when you get it installed and shrunk into place. I did have issues with figment at the back corners though.

All that said, I kinda wish I had just left it out all together some times. The real ticket would be a super skylight and partial head liner.
On the hangar I took out of the back there were little fabricated pieces that held the back loop towards the back of the cabin by tensioning it against some vertical tubing at the back of the baggage area. Did you have these when you put the headliner in?

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

flyusn99 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:29 pm
G21,
I've got one of the aftermarket headliners that Mog mentioned that I'm pulling out of my M-5. Its in good shape other than a few mold stains (since my M-5 is on floats most of the time the wool is perfect for growing mold, thus my decision to pull it) If you want it for a template you can have it for $100. If you got it dry cleaned the mold stains would most likely come out. Not sure if that interests you but if so just let me know.

James
Thanks James. My headliner only needs new loops sewn in and I could re-install it. I’m trying to update the interior as there is way more headroom and baggage room with it out. Some pictures I’ve seen of newer airplanes have panels along the wing root and I’m assuming towards the back as well. I’d like to do some insulation for noise and warmth while I’m at it.

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

Mog wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:11 pm

I was going to do the super skylight if I needed to recover. As the fabric has a lot of life left in it I’m going to use that money on gas instead. ;)

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

The issue I had with the liner from spruce was the bottom corners just above the aft compartment cover. Seems like they narrowed the liner at this point and it was not wide enough to make the width of the cabin.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I notice that Spruce only lists headliners for M-4 and M-5. Anybody ever fit Spruce’s M-5 headliner to an M-6? I seems there is likely a difference in the bow near the flap torque tube, but you have to re-use your old bows anyway. I wondered if the fabric pattern itself is the same.

AndrewK
100+ Posts

Post by AndrewK »

Is there any adhesive involved in mounting the headliner or is it something that can be removed and reinstalled if done carefully?

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

You will need to use contact cement to install some parts of the head liner. The wool one Shri is in place as well. So in my opinion it seems not ideal to remove and replace the same liner. Not that it can’t be done, just not ideal. Of course I went from the original vinyl liner to the wool liner.

Though it looks really nice I wish I had left it out all together and just finished out a few areas with trim.