Just enjoying the M4!

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
G21pilot

Just enjoying the M4!

Post by G21pilot »

Hi all,

I’ve had the chance to put about 20 hours on the M4 since late October when I picked her up. I’m more and more in love with it every time I go flying! It really does just about everything I could ask for in a four seat airplane that I could afford. When I looked at building an airplane vs the cost of a descent M4-210c it was a no brainer.

I’ve got a little more engine work to get done (updated manifold drains for the io-360) chasing oil leaks, and adding a screw on filter. After that done I’ll be layer her up and pulling the wings for strip and paint / general overhaul and adding a second landing light. The new paint will be a matching red with an added Black leading edge, wingtip, cowl top, Maule classic arrow on the tail, and two pin stops to accent the gold. I’ll be overhauling the cowling at the same time.

I’m expecting my Airframes Alaska wheel/brake combo and I’m mounting Aero Classic 850-6 “Tundra” tires (22”) around the end of the month. I’ve also got Pitts elevator gap seals and a VG kit waiting to go on.

I’ll do the panel and interior next year over the winter after I recoup the bank account.

Home is here in Qualicum Beach (CAT4) on Vancouver Island. If anyone is cruising by give me a call. I’m happy to lead a fly out to some of the local beaches. :)

Photos here:
https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0b5nhQSTPUhcO

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: Just enjoying the M4!

Post by maules.com »

Hmm, that is Red. Looks good.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Spiff

Post by Spiff »

Beautiful airplane and location! Nice view of Mars times 2.

Glen

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Nice airplane! This might be an ideal time to put in landing/taxi wig-wag LED lights. Some owners put in two landing lights. I need a taxi light for use on the ground since it has a wider beam spread.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

andy wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:24 am
Nice airplane! This might be an ideal time to put in landing/taxi wig-wag LED lights. Some owners put in two landing lights. I need a taxi light for use on the ground since it has a wider beam spread.
Yes! I’m doing it. :)

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

maules.com wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:06 pm
Hmm, that is Red. Looks good.
The closest I could match it is Polyfiber Madrid Red (189). I was originally going to recover it but as it turns out the fabric is in remarkably good paint and when I polished the paint on the fabric surfaces it came back really well.