M5 restoration project

freedom
100+ Posts

Re: M5 restoration project

Post by freedom »

could anyone installing a 540, tell me what is the spinner diameter at the base?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

There are a number of different props that can be used on the various Lyc 540 engines on the Maule's and the spinners have different diameters and shapes.
McCauley 2 and 3 blade, Hartzell 2 and 3 blade, MT 2 and 3 blade.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

True.. I’ve installed an hartzell 3 blades. A friend got me a metal spinner that looks awesome but also gigantic. Since I’m restoring the cowlings right now I cannot try and fit. The diameter is 15in. If placed above the upper cowling it follows the same curve which is encouraging.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I'd say custom fit it for best airflow for engine cooling. The Maule cowling top front sometimes matched up well and other times was off to the side, sometimes too high sometimes too low. Depended on how the cowling was fitted at firewall but taking into account clearances of mufflers, alternate air tube, air intake, side baffles, alternater bracket, starter etc.
The later Maule cowling top front was more generic and allowed for misalignment with the various spinners.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

7336C

Re:

Post by 7336C »

freedom wrote:
Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:45 am
What is the size or commercial part number, of the rod end, in the flap push rod?
Anybody nows and happy to share the commercial part no. for the left hand threaded rod end bearing installed to the flap push rod?

Thanks.
Zsolt
7336C

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

They should be XAG-3TM-3 e XAW-3TM-3, from aurora bearing.

I had contacted the dealer in the past, hoping to save money, in the end I bought them from maule as they were cheaper and readily available.

7336C

Post by 7336C »

Thanks freedom. I was looking for an alternative but nothing changed, I got the same result. Very difficult and even more expensive to buy an alternative of these rod end bearings especially the left hand threaded. I ordered them from Maule.
Zsolt
7336C

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

what is the trick to install the rudder trim tab?
I can get it in tru the lower pin, but then I struggle to insert the top pin with the solid block.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Bolt bottom pin to tab.
Place tab in position on rudder, with bottom pin in mount hole in rudder.
Place top pin inside tab, slid down so the top of the pin is flush with the top of the tab.
Hold pin in this position by squeezing sides of tab so as to pinch the pin.
Position tab so pin is lined up with upper mount hole.
Using a hook tool, safety wire, coat hanger, or equivalent, raise top pin into position, and install mounting screws.

Don’t forget the bushings that go in the mount holes.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

I’ve 8.00-6 main tires, can you confirm to inflate 25psi seems a very low number to me.

DeltaRomeo
100+ Posts

Post by DeltaRomeo »

Got a good chuckle out of your tail number :D
M5

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Freedom, a guide to tyre inflation pressure is pump up until the outer groove is off the concrete.
Roll airplane aft and forward as this will settle the tyre camber as the oleo settles.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Post by Hale-Yes »

I have always thought that the newer IO 390 would be a great Maule engine. There are, or have been, several engines available from late model Cirrus aircraft that were destroyed on the ground in tornadoes. They are also used in some new Cub Crafters. They have 15hp less than a IO 540 W1A5 but they weigh 100 lbs less. That seem like a good fit.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

have been quiet for a while.. just missing the paper works to start the flight testing. high speed taxi went surprisingly well, the plane is so much more controllable compared to the one I used to fly 15yrs ago )or that I remember at least).

Pics of the finished cockpit and cosmetically still to be finished engine cowlings. (I swear I started working on the cowlings before watching Mike Patey scrappy videos). I suspect I installed the cowlings maybe 1/2 in too far back, forward cylinder clearance was very little so I opted to install a couple of power bulges.
The air intake has been designed to optimise airflow. From the pics you can't see it, but there is an adjustable cowl flap at the rear of the lower cowling.