Emcinco went to Idaho

If you would like to share where you have flown to today (with pictures and/or stories), this is the new section to go to...
Rezrider
100+ Posts

Emcinco went to Idaho

Post by Rezrider »

It’s been a while since I posted here, let alone put any pictures up! But here are a few from a recent trip to the Idaho backcountry.

We spent 2 nights at Upper Loon Creek, a one nighter at Johnson Creek for a hot shower! Then 3 nights at Chamberlain basin. A one nighter at Smiley Creek on the way home.
The smoke started to get bad and visibility dropped to about 6 miles when we were halfway through the trip.

1980 M5-235
Four Corners

bushcub

Re: Emcinco went to Idaho

Post by bushcub »

Rezrider
Where are you based?
I am at AEG and have an MXT7-180 and a Supercub...Maybe we can get together after the CV stuff settles down
Nice Pics. We were there last year with the Maule and about 8 times in years before in the Supercub
Mike

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

I'm based out of CEZ. I fly all over the 4 corners. Shoot me a message if you are up this way.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

The worst aspect of these pictures is that our Maule isn't parked next to yours in any of them. Sigh. Looks like you got the last of the clear flying before fires decided to rule the PNW. It's nasty everywhere now. I'm actually hoping for some rain to help everyone out. Thanks for sharing some highlight shots.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Your photos bring back fond memories of my 2012 and 2016 Idaho trips. I visited Cabin Creek, Lower Loon, Upper Loon, Johnson Creek, Chamberlain, Wilson Bar, Soldier Bar, Warren, Cold Meadows, Krassel, Dixie, Reed, Mahoney Creek, Indian Creek, Thomas Creek, Big Creek, Challis and Landmark. I did low passes at Mile Hi, Dewey Moore and Simonds but I was flying Lori MacNichols' Super Cub in 2012 and didn't want to risk bending the metal. I did a low pass at Mile Hi with my Maule in 2016 and wished that I had landed.

I was there at the end of August 2016 and there were lots of forest fires to the south generating smoke that settled in the canyons where the wind was minimal.

Thanks for the photos.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

We were there in 2014 and tried to go in 2016 but the smoke was pretty bad. This year it got worse towards the end of our trip and visibility dropped to about 5 miles. Had to 'feel' our way out of the valleys!
1980 M5-235
Four Corners