Looking for M4-210C information.

Trigear? Taildragger? Fixed pitch prop? Which Engine? ...anything related with model selection considerations and questions about buying a Maule
G21pilot

Looking for M4-210C information.

Post by G21pilot »

Good morning!
I am brining a 1968 M4-210C to my local engineer here on the Vancouver Island for a pre purchase inspection / annual and I’m hoping to get a list of place to look for problem spots. The airplane is 2500TT and 120 SOH engine 320 SOH prop. The plane has not seen much flying in the past several years. I had a crawl though it and pulled the cowlings. My intent is to recover it in the next season or so but I will start with the tail feathers and doors (so I can do the glass) this winter. If you could share with me common problem areas on the M4-210 I’ll pay extra attention there when I get her home and in the hangar.

As you'll see in the album, I’m rescuing her from a bleak and uncertain future. https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0b5nhQSTPUhcO

I’ve been totally unsuccessful in finding a POH on it while searching online. Can anyone give me their ballpark flight planning speeds and fuel burns? By what I’ve been able to find my best guess is around 100-105 knots at 23-23 and 10-11 GPH?? (depending on load).

Best mods? I’m going to do VG’s when I repaint the wing (probably this year), Super Skylight roof when we recover the fuselage. Is it possible and or worth it to update the wing to M5 (longer flaps)?

Thanks in advance,

Greg

G21pilot

Re: Looking for M4-210C information.

Post by G21pilot »

One other question!

The airplane has two forward facing holes in the lower cowling (see the album in the above post). I haven’t noticed these on other Maules. Can anyone tell me what they are for?

Cheers

norcal64d
100+ Posts

Post by norcal64d »

My MX-7 has a hole on the lower cowling similar to the right side one you have that is connected to a second heater shroud that is plumbed into the floor of the cabin. Hope this helps.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I'm not familiar with the M4 but the two front holes in the lower cowling are probably for fresh air inlet and heater air inlet.

VGs, elevator gaps seals (couldn't tell if it has them), Airframes Alaska leaf spring & bracket, metal fabric stiffeners, new style door and window latches and front observer doors would be my top picks for mods.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

G-MAWL

Post by G-MAWL »

I had to rebuild both flaps and ailerons (1968 M4210C) due to cracks in the spars. Around the hinge attach areas. Looks like that rusty plate is an attempt at a repair on yours.
Check gear bolts at the top of the oleos before you go far.

Derek

plowboy

Post by plowboy »

check the exhaust system for cracks.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

Your POH guesses are just about spot on for my 73 M4 210C. Your exhaust is way different than mine. Mine has a muffler/heater cuff on both sides and two exhaust pipes exiting at the tunnel. The two holes in the cowling don't correspond to anything on the engine. All of the fresh air comes from above the baffles. Wonder what they are for? VG's and elevator gap seals. The gap seals are not strictly legal on the M4 but most everyone uses them anyway... You want a longer prop. Seriously. You want it. The 82" on mine pulls like a truck. Look for corrosion around the tail and the bottom longerons. Everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) that gets under the floorboards ends up in the tail, including water. Mine had copper tubing bows holding up the headliner. Looks like yours have issues. Might replace them with aluminum while you are doing the skylight. Saves a little weight but not much. I like the fishing rod tube!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

Hope you end up getting it and saving it! I had a brief look at it a while ago but wasn’t in a position to take it on.
Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

vern

Post by vern »

G21Pilot,
You may have corrosion in the wings. Discoloration on under side of wings in photos is suspicious. Good excuse to swap out to M5 wings?

As noted by others here, highly recommend vortex generators and elevator gap seal. Also, check the attachment bolts at top of oleo's, critical with older equipment.

In the future, add disk brakes when you have any problem with the Goodyear drum/shoes. I have available, surplus single puck Cleveland's with disks that were disassembled when installing double pucks at last year's annual. I will donate parts if you want, just pay shipping.

I tried to send you a copy of M4-210C Airplane Flying Manual via PM, but doubt it went thru. It is pretty sparse compared to typical Cessna, etc. but if you still need a copy send your email address.

Good luck with your refurbish project. I did a similar effort to repair a ground-looped 1973 M4 a few years back. Worth the effort, a great little ship.

flyingBC

Post by flyingBC »

@G21Pilot

Can you send me a copy of that flying manual too? I just had my offer accepted on a 1965 M4-210!
Warwick Patterson
Flying BC Podcast & Videos
Pilot stories and aviation adventures from British Columbia, Canada.

vern

Post by vern »

flyingBC wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm
@G21Pilot

Can you send me a copy of that flying manual too? I just had my offer accepted on a 1965 M4-210!
FlyingBC, PM me your email address & I will send AFM & Maintenance Manual over, Vern

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

Hi everyone!

I’m so sorry I’m tardy responding. I expected to get a notification when someone posted on this and clearly I was mistaken!

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

G-MAWL wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:34 pm
I had to rebuild both flaps and ailerons (1968 M4210C) due to cracks in the spars. Around the hinge attach areas. Looks like that rusty plate is an attempt at a repair on yours.
Check gear bolts at the top of the oleos before you go far.

Derek
Thanks Derek!

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

flyingBC wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:14 pm
@G21Pilot

Congratulations! Are you in Squamish? I’m over in Qualicum Beach. We’ll have to get together.

G21pilot

Post by G21pilot »

vern wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:21 pm
G21Pilot,
You may have corrosion in the wings. Discoloration on under side of wings in photos is suspicious. Good excuse to swap out to M5 wings?

As noted by others here, highly recommend vortex generators and elevator gap seal. Also, check the attachment bolts at top of oleo's, critical with older equipment.

In the future, add disk brakes when you have any problem with the Goodyear drum/shoes. I have available, surplus single puck Cleveland's with disks that were disassembled when installing double pucks at last year's annual. I will donate parts if you want, just pay shipping.

I tried to send you a copy of M4-210C Airplane Flying Manual via PM, but doubt it went thru. It is pretty sparse compared to typical Cessna, etc. but if you still need a copy send your email address.

Good luck with your refurbish project. I did a similar effort to repair a ground-looped 1973 M4 a few years back. Worth the effort, a great little ship.
Thanks Vern! Can anyone share a photo of the elevator gap seal?