Garmin InReach

Camera's, GPSs and other Gizmos (please let me know if you find an existing thread to be moved into this NEW section)
andy
Site Admin

Garmin InReach

Post by andy »

I just replaced my 10 year old SPOT Messenger with a Garmin InReach Explorer+ . Yesterday I used it in flight for the first time. Seems to work very well. Research on the Internet indicates that it has better coverage and power output than the SPOT. It certainly has a bunch of features that the old SPOT doesn't. I like the satellite texting through a Bluetooth link to my iPhone X the best. The old SPOT could only send a couple of preset messages. A new SPOT has a keyboard to send texts but it's not as easy to use as the iPhone. The InReach also can report position to ATC which the old SPOT couldn't. I considered a new SPOT, which is less expensive both in purchase price and subscription plans, but the issues of coverage and power output won me over to the InReach. I found a video on YouTube of a guy who tested both of them on trails in the Appalachian mountains not too far from me. The InReach definitely won. I would think that the InReach is more popular in Alaska since the InReach uses more satellites and coverage seems to be better.

What do others think of the InReach?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Hale-Yes
100+ Posts

Re: Garmin InReach

Post by Hale-Yes »

Andy, I bought one last week for my middle Son who seems to spends most of his free time in the Sierras above 10,000. ft. We don't hear from him some times for weeks at a time, so the plan is that now we can watch his progress and if he gets in to a jam he can call for help. I don't have any experience with it yet, but like you, I read up on them and chose the Garmin because of it's higher rating in the comparative articles that I was able to find.
"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living" Author unknown.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I’m still using an older PLB that only has a panic button, and no texting capability. I will Iikely upgrade to an InReach soon. Everyone I know up here (Alaska) uses an InReach, and loves them. I don’t know anybody who uses a Spot. My research indicates that the Spot has less reliable satellite connectivity, especially in the far north.

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I had one of the Spot units with the keyboard, but the buttons on the keyboard didn't work. You really had to smash them hard and even then they didn't register half the time. I didn't get any response from my complaints to Spot. Going with the Garmin mini was easy after the problems I had with the spot. Then the RAF came out with their Garmin Mini package deal and I was sold immediately. I'm much happier now!
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Prairiefloats

Post by Prairiefloats »

I have an older inreach and LOVE it - would not be flying the remote areas of northern Saskatchewan without one now. On the flip side my dad has a spot and was rescued two weeks ago from a remote location after he badly injured himself, so I was very thankful he at least had the Spot! He is talking of upgrading to an inreach as well. I also love that the subscription plans are reasonable and I can cancel my plan through the winter months when I am not using it...

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

I'm still using SPOT. I need to upgrade. The messaging capability makes it well worth it.
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I switched from SPOT to an inReach Explorer+ a couple of years ago. I saw a YouTube video of a guy who tested both of them in the back country and the inReach was more reliable under the trees. Plus it has a simpler interface for text messages as well as mapping apps.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

flyusn99
100+ Posts

Post by flyusn99 »

I use both. I started with the SPOT and find their tracking feature most cost effective. The downside as has been mentioned on here is the Globalstar satellite network has holes in its coverage area here in Alaska. Sometimes on flights from Juneau to Anchorage I'll have a 20-45min time where nothing shows on my history. The upside is I get breadcrumbs every 2.5minutes vs 5, 10 or 15m with my InReach for a fraction of the monthly cost of what InReach charges. The InReach plan for 5min tracking was going to be something in the neighborhood of $1200 or so compared to the $240/year I was paying with SPOT. So I kept the SPOT and added an InReach for the two way text option it provides as well as the topo maps. The InReach operates on the Irridium network and is significantly more coverage toward the poles. Defense in depth. The other nice thing here in Alaska is you can file a "Master Flight Plan" with FSS and include the link to your SPOT or InReach tracking webpage and FSS can look you up in case you're overdue, a huge piece of mind when flying in remote and challenging areas.

James

StepOnTheBall

Post by StepOnTheBall »

I connected my InReach to my FSS account. But, I thought I read that you have to file through then, not something else such as ForeFlight, in order for them to be able to track you. Is this correct? I tried researching it more but couldn’t quite figure it out.

I do love my InReach. I use it every flight so my wife can track me if she needs to. We use it on long hikes and backpacking etc. It has been very reliable.

Thanks!

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

That's a good question, StepOnTheBall. I did some research on the 1800wxbrief, Garmin and Foreflight websites. It wasn't 100% clear but I got the impression that you have to file a flight plan through Leidos flight services to enable enhanced search and rescue services from the InReach, assuming that you have registered and activated your Garmin InReach your Leidos flight services account. Has anyone got a better answer?
Andy
1986 MX7-180