2018 Annual

Discussion on keeping your aircraft airworthy and legal and/or any technical topics.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

The Rigid lights showed up yesterday. After work today, I went to the airport the annual is being done at and installed the lights. Tried to test them out, but I think the original landing light switch is disconnected. MaxPulse isn't installed yet (extra wires hanging down so that's in progress), so I wasn't able to get them lit up. Unless I screwed up the installation, but I don't see how since it's only two wires to connect to each bulb and the polarity doesn't matter.

Asked about the cylinder, but the IA had just left, and the A&P/helper was saying that they've been trying to figure out a solution without pulling the cylinder off, but it's looking like they'll have to remove the cylinder. The IA might know more, but I'm still not sure why the compression was so low.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Stinger, according to the MaxPulse wiring diagram polarity does matter. Internally, I'm sure that it's a solid state device and most of them require correct polarity to function (except Triacs/Solid State Relays used in AC circuits).

They can use a borescope on the cylinder by removing a spark plug without removing the cylinder but it's hard to completely see the condition of a valve seat that way. The valve seat might need to be honed if there's carbon buildup or a valve might need to be replaced. Someone who has done this should weigh in and provide you with better information.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

andy wrote:Stinger, according to the MaxPulse wiring diagram polarity does matter. Internally, I'm sure that it's a solid state device and most of them require correct polarity to function (except Triacs/Solid State Relays used in AC circuits).

They can use a borescope on the cylinder by removing a spark plug without removing the cylinder but it's hard to completely see the condition of a valve seat that way. The valve seat might need to be honed if there's carbon buildup or a valve might need to be replaced. Someone who has done this should weigh in and provide you with better information.
I mean the LED lights. Just connect the wire for power to a terminal on the light, and then connect the ground wire to the other terminal. They were still in the process of installing the maxpulse (which is polarity sensitive.)

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

I have the aero led's every one I have asked about my visibility says they have picked up the lights before they can see the plane so I assume they are doing a good job. you do have to run a new wire so they can talk to each other for the wig wag and a switch to control the function. I now leave them on for taking the runway until I turn off. Looking at traffic on ForeFlight has shown me I don't see all the traffic around me but hopefully the odds are better for them seeing me.
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Stinger, LED lights are polarity sensitive. Like any LED, they conduct current in only one direction vs. filament lights like the Q4509 that conduct current in either direction.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

andy wrote:Stinger, LED lights are polarity sensitive. Like any LED, they conduct current in only one direction vs. filament lights like the Q4509 that conduct current in either direction.
The first one I installed mine a few years ago very specifically said that it was not polarity sensitive in the instructions. The second one I installed, in the other wing (a different brand) was.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

andy wrote:Stinger, LED lights are polarity sensitive. Like any LED, they conduct current in only one direction vs. filament lights like the Q4509 that conduct current in either direction.
The Rigid bulbs are not polarity sensitive.
https://www.carid.com/images/rigid-indu ... mation.pdf

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Stinger, you are right. Some LED light manufacturers include a bridge rectifier circuit composed of 4 diodes that allow an LED load to operate with either polarity on the input side. This design approach has a couple of potential disadvantages. Two of the four diodes are always conducting in either polarity and dropping about 0.6 volts each for a total voltage drop of 1.2 volts. Instead of 14 vdc from the master bus the landing light LEDs are getting 12.8 vdc. A manufacturer can compensate for the lower voltage by using more powerful LEDs but that usually results in a higher cost, more of a heat dissipation problem that requires a larger heat sink and more current drain. A bridge rectifier also introduces 4 more points of potential failure in the circuit. The Whelen and AeroLEDs lights are polarity sensitive and do not include a bridge rectifier. I don't think the advantages of the bridge rectifier outweigh the disadvantages, but it's a personal preference.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Apparently there was some buildup or whatever on the exhaust valve causing it to not seat correctly. Fairly straightforward fix I'm told.
Also, MaxPulse controller was faulty. Shop called the manufacturer and new one should be delivered tomorrow.
That's basically all that's left, should be finished up early next week.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Annual is complete, picked the airplane up this morning and flew it back home. The #3 cylinder had the buildup on the exhaust valve grinded away. New gaskets and seals were installed. IA told me to fly it for a couple hours on a high power setting and it should all be taken care of. Was up for about 2 hours at 2600rpm and 5500MSL (about 70F at altitude). Initially the #3 cylinder CHT was high in the climb (420-430F) so I backed off the power for a bit and added more fuel to get the temp back down. Over the next few minutes I got it back to 2600rpm and leaned to 9gph. All the CHTs and EGTs seemed fairly consistent with what I noticed over the last year. Everything seemed to stabilize and between hours 1 and 2 I was at:

oil at 215...EGT1 at 1410 and CHT1 at 370...EGT2 at 1360 and CHT2 at 370...EGT3 at 1380 and CHT3 at 396...EGT4 at 1380 and CHT4 at 332.

#4 Cylinder has historically been the lowest temperature, so that's not surprising...I'll still be keeping an eye on #3 to see if it goes down in temperature some. Cruising at my normal 2400-2500 rpms shouldn't result in any issues I'm thinking.

The MaxPulse works great. It's wired so that the stock landing light rocker switch still is the main on/off and I can just leave the MaxPulse in the same setting.

The Rigid LED bulbs are crazy bright. I turned them on and stood about 75 feet in front of the plane and couldn't comfortably look directly at the bulb in bright afternoon daylight. Seems to be a pretty focused beam, but in a few hours when it gets dark I'll go out to the hangar and see what they're like.

The really strange thing that no one has been able to figure out: When I was sumping the fuel from the two belly sumps under the left step, the rear one was normal with avgas coming out. The other one was barely draining, and what came out was a bright yellow liquid. Kind of an oily residue to it. Kept draining what I could into a coffee can, and eventually it started to clear up and flow at a more normal rate. Drained probably a pint+ before the yellow was gone. Anyone know what would cause that? It wasn't just a yellow tinge, it was bright yellow.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Do you normally sump those drains at each preflight, or have they been left to collect whatever settles to the bottom for a long time?

I don’t have an idea yet on what the yellow stuff could ut knowing how long it took to collect would be a useful clue.

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

Andy Young wrote:Do you normally sump those drains at each preflight, or have they been left to collect whatever settles to the bottom for a long time?

I don’t have an idea yet on what the yellow stuff could ut knowing how long it took to collect would be a useful clue.
I hadn't been doing it every preflight, but after this I'll be starting at least the first flight of the day.
I can't really give an accurate estimation of how often I had been sumping those drains, but maybe every 5-10 flights. Last time I did it was probably in May.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The yellow stuff is mud wasp layings. It can be loosened with a bit of wire and keep fuel running until clear. Little bits may also come out.
These creatures like avgas so also check free airflow through the fuel tank ventlines. remove tank tops and with antisiphon hole at vent line entry into wing closed with tape or a finger, blow through the four vent tubes.
.040 wire can be persuaded to go up the line to breakup blockages, but do Not then blow towards the tank or debris may get in. To blow through you can disconnect the vent line at the tank. Some aircraft have the oneway valve kit installed so disconnect outbound of that. Also check correct oneway operation of that valve (blue or brass fitting).

To prevent the insects ingress, cut a slot in a bit of foam rubber and place over each vent and belly drain and sometimes gascolator drain
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Stinger
100+ Posts

Post by Stinger »

maules.com wrote:The yellow stuff is mud wasp layings. It can be loosened with a bit of wire and keep fuel running until clear. Little bits may also come out.
These creatures like avgas so also check free airflow through the fuel tank ventlines. remove tank tops and with antisiphon hole at vent line entry into wing closed with tape or a finger, blow through the four vent tubes.
.040 wire can be persuaded to go up the line to breakup blockages, but do Not then blow towards the tank or debris may get in. To blow through you can disconnect the vent line at the tank. Some aircraft have the oneway valve kit installed so disconnect outbound of that. Also check correct oneway operation of that valve (blue or brass fitting).

To prevent the insects ingress, cut a slot in a bit of foam rubber and place over each vent and belly drain and sometimes gascolator drain
I've heard of them getting into pitot tubes, but never even considered them going into fuel drains.
Thanks!

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

It’s good practice to drain those belly dumps each day; as the lowest point in the fuel system, that’s where the water will want to go.