M5 restoration project

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

On the oleo oil, If you have the original springs, p/n 4015B, then just some good quality tractor oil. However if you have the newer 4161B springs, then you must use API GL-4 or GL-5 85W-140 gear oil.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Duane wrote:On the oleo oil, If you have the original springs, p/n 4015B, then just some good quality tractor oil. However if you have the newer 4161B springs, then you must use API GL-4 or GL-5 85W-140 gear oil.
This is first that I’ve heard this. What is the rational behind needing the different fluid with the new springs?

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

It came about by the way we had to do the drop test with the new springs. The thicker oil helps by slowing down the compression and in dampening. Our friendly FAA had changed the way we had to test them over the way it was done originally.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Ah. In other words, if one was to inadvertently use the old-spec oil in an airplane that had the new springs, it would function and react more or less like they always had prior to the new testing regime.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

LA LA LA I didn't hear anything. 8)

VA Maule
100+ Posts

New rules

Post by VA Maule »

Now play nice Andy you know they only make new rules to protect us from ourselves :roll:
The best Government, is less Government.

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

The MAN is just trying to keep us down! :lol:
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i have the new 4161B springs with synthetic 85W-140 gear oil and i don't notice any difference in compression or rebound. i do notice that the new springs sit up taller than the 10 year old ones they replaced. and the extended landing gear makes seeing over the cowling an entirely new challenge :)
M5-235

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

finally the landing gear is back on.. 21yrs since the last time!!! a milestone has been reached.

on a side note, is it correct that where the main gear and the oleo strut join, there is no bushing_ the hole seems quite large. only thing I can think of, is that the bolt has to be thighten quite a lot, for the 2 bushing inside the oleo to fit in the large hole.

Imageimgupload

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Something wrong with that picture. The hole is too big.
There should be a swivel bushing but I see no way it can be captured.
The hole must have been opened out for some unknown reason.
At this point I would advise getting the extended gear, though that does mean extended oleo struts too though you can use your existing spring packs as long as you have the latest type.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

:x :x .. just found it.. it's the same part number for the oleo ball bearing.

does it normally need to be pressed in with force?
what is the correct hole diameter?

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I am not at hangar but according to memory it fits up against a shoulder and is either peined in four places or held with circlip.
I don't know outside diameter of bearing or inside of hole.
The upper bearing in top of oleo is positioned with thick spacers on each side of the bearing between the landing gear lugs. The nut is torqued on the bolt at 225 inch lbs. Be sure correct amount of washers are used to prevent torqueing against the shank, easy mistake as the lugs are slightly splayed and are pulled together prior to achieving torque value. Cannot be acurately torqued with bolt head.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

That hole size should be .810 dia.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

I looked, there is no shoulder, the bearing is held in by pruning four points on both sides at the lower attach point. However the upper attach does have a shoulder and the bearing is held in with a spring circling.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

upper attach is properly installed.
Have measured the bore size today and is within specs, so tomorrow will press in the bearing.
Today have also cut the central tube in the from doors and welded in a curved bar to increase cabin size. Pics to follow.