Maule on a Mission

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
DonMc

Post by DonMc »

MISSON ACCOMPLISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"I love it when a plan comes together!"

Thanks for the pointers!

DonMc
260BD

Lowflybye
100+ Posts

Post by Lowflybye »

So...how did you do it?
"To most people, the sky is the limit. To a pilot, the sky is home."

Still a bit cloudy when it comes to aviation insurance? Find some clarity: Clear on Top

DonMc

Post by DonMc »

I ran the ideas you guys had by my friend. The rig Lowflybye came up with seemed to be the most professional but we were worried we might drop the thing hanging out the window. The bag idea looked like the easiest and cheapest way to go. We settled for the tube on the strut idea. My friend wanted to play bombadier and thought pulling the rope to open the flap to release the charge would be the most exciting. It worked well.

DonMc
260BD

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

saw this video of dispersal done from a Maule.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wEki8aIT880

Flyhound
100+ Posts

Post by Flyhound »

I scattered my granddad's ashes from a Grumman Traveler about 30 years ago. I used a pair of nylon pantyhose with a toe cut out of one leg and the other leg tied off. I poured the ashes into the waist and they flowed out the toe hole, but the leg didn't dangle down far enough. None of the ash came back into the canopy, but the leg extended almost straight back in the slipstream. The hard ash sand blasted the paint off of my horizontal stab. Whatever rig you use, make sure it extends far enough down to avoid that problem. Flour isn't a very good trial material because it is so fine and light. Try some fine sand for your test run.
Por mares nunca dantes navegados - a line from a Potugese poem about exploring the unknown.

Brenton C
100+ Posts

Post by Brenton C »

David,

What was it you felt/sensed in your gut that made you change your mind to go flying that day?

RobHill

Post by RobHill »

Flyhound wrote:...The hard ash sand blasted the paint off of my horizontal stab. Whatever rig you use, make sure it extends far enough down to avoid that problem. Flour isn't a very good trial material because it is so fine and light. Try some fine sand for your test run.
What he said.

Ashes that I have seen have had small unburned bone fragments in them. So getting it down far enough to avoid the tail is important. Did it once from a B55 Baron through the baggage door. Had to vacuum the cabin after getting home. Setting up a slip with the opening through which the ashes are being dumped on the low pressure side of the fuselage may help.

Important to have the person flying the airplane focused on flying the airplane and not the dumping.
Ex Commercial Pilot and CFIAI

SlowFlyer

Post by SlowFlyer »

I dispersed my father´s ashes last week and did a missing man formation with 2 fellow pilots.
I used lowflybye´s schematic and it was flawless (thanks for the info).

The whole family gathered in the beach for the formation and dispersal, it was very emotional for all. My father was who got me into aviation, although he never earned his licence I got to take him flying in the Maule several times in his last difficult years fighting GBM.

Here is a link to the video of formation and dispersal.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BykIdo ... sp=sharing

Teddy

captnkirk
100+ Posts

Post by captnkirk »

Your father was a wealthy man. He had many that will miss him judging by the video. God bless
Kirk Johnson
If god had meant man to fly he would have given him more money

truthinbeer
100+ Posts

Post by truthinbeer »

Looking at the smiles on the faces of his family and friends it looks like it was a wonderful celebration of your father's life. Thanks for sharing Teddy.

N412EP

Post by N412EP »

This is how I do it. https://youtu.be/L5XvBCn4KU8