new maule pilot insurance premiums

A catch-all forum for anything remotely related to Maule flying.
29singlespeed

Re: M5-220

Post by 29singlespeed »

TomD wrote:The useful on that M5-220 should be great! Do the gross uplift, assuming it is available on the 220, and you will have a real hauler on your hands.

I don't see why the uplift would not be available since it is structural not power plant related.

TD
Didn't even know about the uplift -- whats it do for the gross?

TomD
100+ Posts

M5-220

Post by TomD »

Takes Max Gross from 2300lbs to 2500lbs.

It is a pretty simple upgrade.

Between the higher gross and lighter Franklin engine you should have an awesome Useful.

29singlespeed

Re: M5-220

Post by 29singlespeed »

TomD wrote:Takes Max Gross from 2300lbs to 2500lbs.

It is a pretty simple upgrade.

Between the higher gross and lighter Franklin engine you should have an awesome Useful.
Interesting.. I will have to check it out.. Maule owned STC?

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

Yep, #2500 gross upgrade kit available from Maule consists of a spar web doubler & new wing attach fittings & a inboard false rib if I remember right, for the Franklin I flight plan @ 10 GPH loafing along at 130-135 mph indicated as I think thats the sweet spot for the wing. Yeah, I can burn a bit more if in a real hurry but usually not. One of the smoothest engines you will ever fly behind if assembled properly also! Let's all rally for the new Franklin endevour and hope they bring new engines & Franklin parts availability back to the market which will help quiet some of the ney sayers who have never owned one. You may also want to contact timB here on the site as he has Chaz's nice old Stinson 108-3 with a low time 220 Franklin in it that Tim got when Chaz upgraded to his M5 235 Turbo. Tim has mentioned possibly selling the Stinson.

Vaughans
Last edited by vaughans on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

vaughans wrote:Yep, #2500 gross upgrade kit available from Maule consists of a spar web doubler & new wing attach fittings & a inboard false rib if I remember right, for the Franklin I flight plan @ 10 GPH loafing along at 130-135 mph indicated as I think thats the sweet spot for the wing. Yeah, I can burn a bit more if in a real hurry but usually not. One of the smoothest engines you will ever fly behind if assembled properly also! Let's all rally for the new Franklin endevour and hope they bring new engines & Franklin parts availability back to the market which will help quiet some of the ney sayers who have never owned one.

Vaughans
Vaughans -- are you flying an m5? Thanks for the info. If I get this one particular one I am looking at -- I will be doing a lot of oil analysis out of the engine (240 from TBO).

vaughans

Post by vaughans »

M4220C & yep that is what I am still flying since this one was through a complete rebuild with the goodies I wanted added to it including the aux tanks which will already be found on most of the Franklin powered M5's, see my prior edited post on Tim's 108-3 220 Franklin that may be for sale as well.
By the way, that completely rebuilt 220 Franklin flew into this strip in the back of a M-5 210 with 2 guys up front as well. How many light planes could you do that with by just opening the doors and sliding the engine in the back?

Vaughans
Last edited by vaughans on Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:shock:
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MauleWacko
100+ Posts

Post by MauleWacko »

:D
Last edited by MauleWacko on Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

vaughans wrote:M4220C & yep that is what I am still flying since this one was through a complete rebuild with the goodies I wanted added to it including the aux tanks which will already be found on most of the Franklin powered M5's, see my prior edited post on Tim's 108-3 220 Franklin that may be for sale as well.
By the way, that completely rebuilt 220 Franklin flew into this strip in the back of a M-5 210 with 2 guys up front as well. How many light planes could you do that with by just opening the doors and sliding the engine in the back?

Vaughans
Doh, sorry I missed that you had a m4 mentioned in this thread.

29singlespeed

Post by 29singlespeed »

MauleWacko wrote:Vaughans Is a M-4-220 TimB built it and it is like a new airplane. I have flown it. Aviation is a small world. Just off the phone with Vaughans (Mike) and Ken in Idaho. The one with the 59 182 for sale. Not to make a sale or change one. If it where me I would go fly the M-5-220 then fly Ken's 182. I know the 182 and it has 100 hours on a o/h and all the stol mods and nose fork. Great airplane, not a big bite in cross winds, I know I had a guy hanging on the lift strut to get out of a place and not blow over. What ever feels best best for you, but engine overhaul cost would be a big part of a deal for me also. It would have to be a good deal on a 1300 hrs M-5-220. I would not pay any more tha 30K for it no matter what, to much out there with better engine times. It turns the windmill. :shock:
Spoke with ken today. It's in consideration but 10-15k more.