New Maintenance Shop in Alaska

IMPORTANT: For private sales only please, no commercial sales. If you want to sell your airplane, please just post a link to a website or barnstormer etc on here. To post a classified item, you NEED to use the format described in the "sticky" (first post), otherwise your posts will be automatically deleted
Andy Young
100+ Posts

New Maintenance Shop in Alaska

Post by Andy Young »

First off, Moderators: if this post violates the rules, please delete, and accept my apologies.

As some of you know, I am an A&P/IA, and have been operating a one-person maintenance shop in Colorado during the off-season from flying in Alaska.

I have recently built a hangar in Talkeetna, Alaska, and have moved my entire Colorado operation to Alaska. Starting fall of 2024, I will be offering maintenance/repairs/annuals etc. in Talkeetna. This will only be during the winter months, as the flying work keeps me too busy in the summer to do both. As a long-time Maule owner, they are my preferred brand to work on. So if any of you Southcentral Alaska folks are in need of an annual or other work on your Maule next fall/winter, give me a shout. Of course, I work on other brands as well.

It’s worth letting folks know up front that I do very thorough annuals. I certainly respect that many folks are looking for the quick sign-off type, but I am unable to offer that. Many of you have copies of my annual inspection list, so you have a sense of how I go about it. I’m always happy to do owner-assisted annuals to help defray the costs.

andy
Site Admin

Re: New Maintenance Shop in Alaska

Post by andy »

I love Talkeetna. We spent about a week there in 2008 and got a C185 ski plane ride to Ruth Glacier. Do they still have the hand-painted Welcome sign coming into town?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

We still have one of the 185s, but now the rest of our fleet is Turbine Otters. We still do glacier landings on nearly every flight. Yep, that cool sign is still there!

JEM1968

Post by JEM1968 »

Glad you were able to build that hangar in Talkeetna you talked about couple years ago. If you were not four days away, I would bring my plane to you. We, (IA and I) have been using your annual inspection list for years.

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

I can personally vouch for Andy in all capacities as a mechanic, friend, and pilot! He’s the only reason I was able to rebuild my M6 or get my A&P. His work and Maule knowledge is of the highest caliber and he was the hidden mentor behind everything I’ve posted on this site.

Andy scouring my M6 before its first post-rebuild flight:

And before that, scouring my dreadful M7 outside his old hangar for annual:

100% will return for all future annuals and would recommend him to anyone.