S-Tec 30 A/P

IMPORTANT: For private sales only please, no commercial sales. If you want to sell your airplane, please just post a link to a website or barnstormer etc on here. To post a classified item, you NEED to use the format described in the "sticky" (first post), otherwise your posts will be automatically deleted
Billyd

S-Tec 30 A/P

Post by Billyd »

Just purchased a MXT-7-180. It came with an S-Tec 20. wing leveler only. Does anyone have a used S-tec 30 for sale? Our 20 works perfectly but is missing the pitch servo and all associated parts in the rear. Any suggestions? Thanks Billyd My e-mail is billyd737@aol.com Tel# 207-720-0080

htobin

Re: S-Tec 30 A/P

Post by htobin »

Looking for comments by owners who have an Stec 30 auto pilot. It appears to be the only viable alternative. Any comments on installation, cost, utilization, or limitations would be greatly appreciated.

Plemmons

Post by Plemmons »

I have a S-Tec 20 in my 180. They work off the rudder instead of ailerons. Works well with a heading bug and will track CDI pretty well on x country flights. It's hard for me to do, but I have to keep my feet off the rudder pedals for it to work properly. Approaches are decent if the air is smooth. (which almost never happens here in the mountains) If its rough, you have to give it a lot of help.
As far as cost, I sent my computer off for some minor work. That came to around $2500 from STEC. Pretty steep charge just to get it benched. I can't imagine how much it would be for me to upgrade to alt. hold on a STEC 30! I'm just hoping mine keeps working!
With the limited speed of the 180, its pretty easy to keep up with the altitude.
Philip Plemmons

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

A full list of eligible autopilots is at mauleairinc.com >Support >OEL for the optional equipment list. Other S-Tec autopilots than the -30 are eligible. It’s frustrating that Maule is left out of the list on the newer digital autopilots.

I do recall that S-Tec (now Genesis) will not cooperate with installation of used equipment. So, if you need something from them it could be a problem. I don’t see how that can be, since most of their autopilots are on the OEL. It’s just something to check out before you plunk down some cash on a used unit.

Haven’t flown the -30 on a Maule. But worked fine on other aircraft. I still run my old Century IIB on my M5 and give it a high rating of ‘better than nothing’.

Kirk

Billyd

Post by Billyd »

I did speak with S-Tec and they informed me that they no longer support the Legacy A/P's. It stoped about a year and a half ago. S-Tec has not STC'd the newer A/P's for the older Maule's. I was told that Tru-Trac, which is now Bendix King Aero needed 20 firm orders but never meet the threshold . I am hoping that MOSAIC goes through and Maule gets classified as LSA and made available to Sport pilots. Then we will be able to choose any A/P of our choice.

Otis

Post by Otis »

I requested a quote for an STEC 55x for my M5-235C from a major Avionics dealer/installer a couple of weeks ago. The good news was that they responded to my request, the bad news was that their estimate was for over $36,000. Genesys has an STEC 55/55x STC for Maule M5-210C and 235C, M6-235, MX7-180 and 235, M7-235, 235A, 235B.

htobin

Post by htobin »

Wonder if they cover the MTX-180. No different in the air

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

htobin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2024 10:16 am
Wonder if they cover the MTX-180. No different in the air
Looks like yes.
It’s on the optional equipment list, page 18:

https://fdb41ebf-dcb9-418b-8328-810edcf ... 0def7b.pdf

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Looked into installing salvage S-Tec 30 several years ago. At that time the avionics shop which I was doing some work for was a dealer. Found out that the factory would sell you an install kit along with STC for several thousand dollars. I argued that it was on equipment list but got nowhere but that was probably my dealer. Since the 20 and 30 are no longer in production doesn't look quite as appealing now.

RedOwlAirfield

Post by RedOwlAirfield »

I really like my S30. Its the thing that convinced me autopilots aren't tools of the devil. I am now an autopilot fan. I usually use it off of the GNS430W and it works great tracking that. One thing I found from reading the book - it won't make turns of more than 10 degrees by itself. You have to make the turn - and then it picks up the heading and flies it from there. Slight heading changes it does just fine by itself though. Altitude hold seems faultless. It does work off of pressure altitude though - so if you fly from an area of low pressure to an area of high pressure - you will descend ever so slightly. Doesn't come up often, but it does come up. It's still reduces workload about a bazillion percent. (Sorry for using technical terms)

I should also mention my experience is with an S30 installed in my Cessna 180 - not a Maule. I wanted a Maule but couldn't find one when I was looking - so I had to settle. It flies pretty good but its no Maule.

htobin

Post by htobin »

We are working with Garmin. If more of you are interested, let them know. It will certainly help if they realize a larger market

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Done! Which Maule and A/P are you working on?

Billyd

Post by Billyd »

I am sincerely interested in Garmin or any other A/P system for older Maule A/C. Please put me on any list for the future. Once again ,the S-Tec 20/30 is STC'd and works beautifully but is no longer supported. The Maule accomplishes all I need for short flights but my 200 to 400 NM trips through controlled airspace gets a bit tiering. Thanks for everyone's input.

onfinal

Post by onfinal »

htobin wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:35 pm
We are working with Garmin. If more of you are interested, let them know. It will certainly help if they realize a larger market
Very interesting to hear something is in motion.
There is an 'autopilot interest' signup at the bottom of Garmin's GFC500 'Supported Aircraft' webpage. I assume this is the best place to register interest. If there is another place please do advise.
M6-235

wtxdragger
100+ Posts

Post by wtxdragger »

Mercifully Free from the Ravages of Intelligence
1989 M7-235 N90KD
1975 T210L N1675X
2022 CCK-1865 N922UM

https://www.instagram.com/wtxdragger/