Gear Legs for Sale

IMPORTANT: For private sales only please, no commercial sales. If you want to sell your airplane, please just post a link to a website or barnstormer etc on here. To post a classified item, you NEED to use the format described in the "sticky" (first post), otherwise your posts will be automatically deleted
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Gear Legs for Sale

Post by Andy Young »

I have a set of gear legs and oleo tubes for sale. No spring cartridges in the oleo tubes. These are stock Maule items, and are straight. I removed them to install extended gear. Good fix if you’ve got a bent gear leg and don’t want to pony up for ABI gear.

I’ll consider any reasonable offer. Heck, I’ll even consider unreasonable offers.

Located in Colorado.

freedom
100+ Posts

Re: Gear Legs for Sale

Post by freedom »

I might be interested in the shocks as I’m building my own extended gear sets and to avoid down time they will be useful. Let me know if you still own them and are willing to sell separately.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

The “shocks” are just the empty tubes; no spring cartridges. If those are useful to you, I might consider selling them separately.

freedom
100+ Posts

Post by freedom »

That’s all I need the rest springs I have them.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

Andy, what are your thoughts on the extended gear? Is the difference in height noticable during take off and landing? Worth the $$$?
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

freedom wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:22 pm
That’s all I need the rest springs I have them.
Ok, give me a shout to discuss selling the strut tubes then.
720-320-8265.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Rezrider wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:06 pm
Andy, what are your thoughts on the extended gear? Is the difference in height noticable during take off and landing? Worth the $$$?
Well, I need it legally for the length prop I’m using. But I do think it makes a noticeable difference in angle of attack, which helps with short takeoffs and landings. Also much easier to land slow without the tailwheel touching. I’d never go back, but the value to you depends on your use and flying style.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I have 31" ABI tundra tires on my MX-7-180 and standard length ABI HD main gear legs. It gives me a pretty high angle of attack on takeoff. That helps develop more lift until I'm going fast enough to raise the tail but I've found that the drag of the tail wheel on grass, gravel or dirt partially or completely negates the additional lift in terms of takeoff distance. I also need to see over the nose ahead of me in case something (or someone) gets in the way so taking off in a 3-point attitude is not a good idea. I've tried takeoffs in various attitudes from 3-point to level to see what produces a shorter takeoff. The compromise that I've arrived at is nosing forward just enough on takeoff to see ahead but still slightly nose high with the tail wheel off the ground. I don't think the angle of attack in this attitude is any better than with standard tires and gear legs. A taller pilot might not need to bring the nose down as much to see ahead. I've also found from backcountry operations that the sooner and longer I can keep the tail wheel off the ground, the less beating it takes on rough airstrips. The big, soft tundra tires are very helpful in this situation and significantly reduce the stress on the main gear legs, gear attach bolts, oleo struts and airframe.

The main reason for the extended gear legs would be for more ground clearance with a larger prop. Landing off-airport sometimes involves rolling over tall weeds, bushes, stumps or rocks that can get close to the prop tips. Having big tires and extended gear legs is good in that situation. A larger prop produces more thrust which gets you off the ground quicker and climbs better. The combination would shorten takeoffs but could make for slightly longer landings due to the additional weight of the extended gear legs, larger tires and longer, heavier prop. You can compensate for the additional weight through reductions in other areas. There are many variables that play in landing distance besides these factors such as final approach speed, total weight, wind, surface friction, pilot skill and application of brakes.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

The higher angle afforded on landing probably lets you slow it down a little more and thus perhaps a shorter roll. As far as seeing out I sit on a cushion. We put in the skylight to afford my son enough headroom so he didn't hit the headliner. We are both 6' 2" but he is much taller from the butt up. I would like to go to the blimp tires, even have the 337, but can hardly swing a leg out to exit from the cockpit and see well enough to feel good on takeoff as is so the extended gear and 8.50s is as far as I go.

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

I have 31s and the extended legs. On take-off, I lift the tail just high enough to get the tail wheel off the ground. I’m only 5’8”, but feel I can see well enough. It’s definitely a higher angle of attack than I would have with stock gear.

I fly a turbine otter for work; it’s a tail wheel aircraft with a really long nose and a high panel, so I’m somewhat used to limited vis on the first parts of the takeoff.

Anyway, others are correct that prop protection is probably one of the better reasons for the tall gear.

Rezrider
100+ Posts

Post by Rezrider »

A good assessment, thank you.
1980 M5-235
Four Corners

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

So the oleo tubes are gone, but I still have the gear legs, if anyone needs them.