M-5 wings

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
MikeW
100+ Posts

M-5 wings

Post by MikeW »

I'm running a 73 M-4 210C. I'm entertaining the idea of installing M-5 wings on it via the STC. I would like some feedback on the cost/benefit of doing this. My takeoffs are in the 300-400 range depending on how I'm loaded and ground roll on landings are also in the 400 ft range. The M-5 is advertised at a 150ft ground roll and takeoff. Are these numbers pretty close to what a competent Maule driver will see. Also, the wings new from Maule are very expensive but I think cheaper wings could be had at Maule Mods or other sources. Any thoughts on this from guys in the know would be appreciated. Happy New Year to all

Mike

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

If you have the original 1973 M4 wings with the droop tips then the only difference to the M5 wings is in the lengths of the flaps and ailerons. If you don't have long range tanks, they can be added to your wings.
M4 aileron is 69.5". M5 aileron is 61.625".
M4 flap is 70.5". M5 flap is 90".
You can improve the flaps by tightening up the system, (bellcrank bushing and bolt, bellcrank bracket, pushrod ends and bolts, etc) so that when fully deployed with the later Maule ratchet of 20 and 40degrees , you are actually getting 40deg with a backward pressure against the flaps equivalent to a 70mph wind.
You might also check that the wings are rigged correctly with the slightest amount of washout at the tips.
There is also known to be a 20/40/50 ratchet floating about in the experimental world.
Your aircraft is lighter than an M5, so with equivalent engine/prop it should take off quicker given the same load.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

MikeW
100+ Posts

Post by MikeW »

Thanks for the quick reply Jeremy. I do have aux tanks by the way. Who could I contact regarding the experimental flap ratchet? Feel free to pm me if you like. Thanks again.

Mike