Paint overspray on the acrylic windshield

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
SkyMind

Paint overspray on the acrylic windshield

Post by SkyMind »

Hey guys I just wanted to post this in case someone else has the same issue.

I was installing a new vertical card compass the other night when my high intensity flash light rolled next to the windshield.

When the high intensity light shown sidewise on the acrylic windshield it reveled that the entire windshield was covered with paint overspray.

In day light the windshield looked hazy but no paint overspray could be seen or felt—nor could you see the overspray if the flash light was directly pointed at the windshield.

I looked in the aircraft log book and found that the previous owner had made an entry for some touch up painting he had done—I guess he did not mask or cover the windows and that the static electricity pulled the paint to the windshield.

After a several hours of searching the web on how to remove aircraft paint from an acrylic windshield I found a simple solution, a product called Clay Magic.

I got a Clay Magic “fine” bar at the local auto parts store and followed the directions that a boat owner posted on how he removed paint from his acrylic boat windshield.

I misted the windshield with the water bottle supplied with the Clay Magic bar and then wiped the bar back and forth (not circular) across the windshield and the paint came off—no scratches, no residue and it only took 15 min.

Dokmow

Post by Dokmow »

Thanks for the tip! I've seen auto body guys use that stuff of clear coats.
Erick
M5-235C N9009E
My SPOT page