Aero 3000 Skis

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
n1264d

Aero 3000 Skis

Post by n1264d »

Anyone used the Aero 3000 skis or get them approved for the Maule. I am looking for a pair of straight skis and saw a pair on barnstormers. Any ideas on Federal vs. Aero vs. Landes vs. Airglas. What size is good for an M6? How long should it take a mechanic to put together rigging for the plane if I can't get skis rigged for the plane?

Thanks,

Andy

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i haven't used the aero 3000's, but they look like a great ski. i have been to aeroski's shop and have seen them inside and out. they are the closest thing to a brand new federal that you can get.
i used to run federal 2500 straight skis on my M5. i loved their performance. i did install UHMW bottom skins that were larger than the ski bottom for more float and less stick. this was very necessary as the stock aluminum bottom quickly froze down.
i now run scheider 4000 wheel penetration skis. they have a plate that can be inserted under the tire, turning them into straight skis. these work great as straight skis with a huge footprint and tons of floatation.
likewise the landes straight skis are also a very good ski.
whichever one you find should do what you need it to.

it should take your mechanic a day or two to get them totally rigged. there is lots of jacking the airplane up involved.
make sure to get the rigging drawings for whatever ski you end up with. as there are 2 different ways to attatch the cables at the fuselage end. your mechanic should be savvy in this area.
M5-235

n1264d

Post by n1264d »

Thanks for the info UP, I contacted Aero and they are sending me the STC for the skis along with supporting documentation. I haven't ever had a manufacture volunteer the info. Usually have to pay and most times pay steeply. They seem like nice folks and I hope the skis work out well.