Tail ski

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
180mx

Tail ski

Post by 180mx »

Does anyone have sign off on a aeroski tailski.
It is a wheel penetration tail ski going on a mx180b with a 3200 tailwheel

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

have you called troy at aero ski manufacturing?

320-346-2285

he should be able to help.
M5-235

180mx

tail ski

Post by 180mx »

Yes, I talked to Troy first, I'am buying ski from him.
He said they don't have paper work for ski on this plane and suggested
finding one time approval from someone or faa.
Thanks

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I would suggest that you can install the tail ski per data contained in AC43.13-2A chapter 5, section 1, 2, & 3, pages 33-40 and submit to your local FSDO for field approval... I assume that you have already approved Scott T/W installation? If not, would suggest Alaska Bushwheel T/W on their STC, (otherwise would have to do Field Approval on Scott TW installation as well) then do the ski per AC43.13-2A and would assume again that tailski has approval on another aircraft with the Scott T/W for added data and similiar installation. Update W&B and should be pretty much a no brainer with the FEDS as this is a fairly minor - major alteration?
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

i was talking to a fed this summer who told me the new revised AC43.13-2B was out now. he said the main change is that it is now considered approved data. which would make ski installations and certain rigging changes (like using springs instead of bungees) log book sign-offs I.A.W. the data provided in the skis section.
i haven't been able to find a hard copy of this yet, but he said it is up on the faa website.
M5-235

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I'll be very surprised if it went from "acceptable" to "approved". Things do change though.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I believe the AC 43.13-2A to still be acceptable data these days, and the ski installation is not in 43.13-2B? Up here it really doesn't matter too much anyway with something as commin as ski installations. Never had a problem with a tail ski or springs in place of bungees with local FSDO, just got to do the paperwork and justify correctly. The springs are much safer up here due to the extreme cold temps as the bungees, even natural rubber, will take a set, break, and otherwise can create havoc...
Jim

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guida ... ight=43.13

the 2a was superseded by the 2b march 2008.
M5-235

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I'll be darned, you are absolutely right, AC43.13-2b is now APPROVED DATA, AC43.13-2a has been illiminated and combined into 2b and looks to me like Chapter 5 covers ski installations very well as they have actually added the info that we had to throw on the Form 337 for a field approvals up here anyway... I had heard that this change was in process and that they were going to add several of the items that were common field approvals. Just checked and paper copy is now available at our local supply store. Also talked to local FSDO and they weren't even aware of change!!! Good information!!
Jim

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

this is from page one:

This data generally pertains to minor alterations; however, the alteration
data herein may be used as approved data for major alterations when the AC chapter, page, and
paragraph are listed in block 8 of FAA Form 337 when the user has determined that it is:
a. Appropriate to the product being altered,
b. Directly applicable to the alteration being made, and
c. Not contrary to manufacturer’s data.
2. CANCELLATION. AC 43.13-2A, Acceptable Methods, Techniques, and Practices―
Aircraft Alterations, dated January 1, 1977, is canceled.

my PMI said this change would cut down on the amount of field approval paper work they had to deal with. since you can reference this approved data in a log bock entry and skip the field approval. :D
M5-235

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I guess things do change. :D

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

180mx,

the point of this thread hijack is that you can have your mechanic install and rig the tail ski. then have your IA fill out a 337 for a major alteration, which is installing an aero ski tail ski where there was not one before. then reference the APPROVED data in the ski section of the 43.13-2b, sign it, and mail it to oak city. done.

ps- what skis are you running?
M5-235