Single Seat In back

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
belandd
100+ Posts

Single Seat In back

Post by belandd »

Any one ever come up with a mod for a single seat in the back instead of the dueal seat?

I find I am usually carrying two people and their gear. It would be nice to have more room for gear. I never need the dual seat.

thanks
Silly Billy Charters and Tours
Valdez, AK.

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Are you refrencing something like the Atlee folding seat that the 180/185 uses? I believe that they rely on a sidewall mounting that the Maule can't do because of the rag & tube. i suppose that with additional mounting tabs welded into the floor, a single seat might be possible...
I usually fly with the back seat out. The dogs don't mind. Once, I had a to fly a gal out to a doctor from the Alaska range. No back seat and my passenger was a pretty big guy so he stayed up front. The gal straddeled a 15-gal fuel jug for the 55 minute flight out. No complaints from her but the abcessed molar kept her attention pretty good.
I had thought of retro-fitting my back seat to use the sling seat. That way, when not in use, it could be rolled up and maybe put in a pole holder/ski tube. Would that be possible?

belandd
100+ Posts

Seat

Post by belandd »

Yeah, the Atlee seat is my inspiration.

Maybe when it comes time to recover I will sneak something in.

Have a good winter, time to start looking at the skiis
Valdez, AK.

cj8vet

Post by cj8vet »

I may be way off and showing my stupidity but since I dont have my POH here at work Ill go off memeory in asking--Cant you carry more weight ON the seat than on the floor boards? something about how they are attached to the frame vs the thin flooring? I know W/B are an issue and maybe loading big/bulky items are an issue
mark
MXT-180
cj8vet
mark richardson
MXT-180
N234PP

Hottshot
100+ Posts

Post by Hottshot »

I have a picture of a Sling seat out of a M5 I will try to scan it over and put in on here some how. It still uses the standard Bars to mount but just covers one side or the other.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Re: Seat

Post by a64pilot »

belandd wrote:Yeah, the Atlee seat is my inspiration.

Maybe when it comes time to recover I will sneak something in.

Have a good winter, time to start looking at the skiis
I'm real sure it could be done with the fabric in place.
Of course if you don't mind the tubes, do as WUP said.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

Both Mel Wick of Wick Air and Terry Holiday of Holliday Aviation have installed the Atlee Dodge seat/s in the M7 and M5.
It can be done without recovering.
They have welded mounts to the side frames but as long as the FAA okays it I see no reason why the siderail could not be clamped to the verticals.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

YELLOWMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by YELLOWMAULE »

Outstanding! Thanks Jeremy.
I'll stop in and see Mel in the morning. He has come up with some neat ideas. He has a set of tie down rings that tie into the wing strut that are a huge improvement over the factory tie down rings.
Yes, ski season is coming soon. 4" this morning, melted off for the most part and more now I see.
Wup, I'll look forward to the schematic if you can do it. If not, email it to me.

UP-M5
100+ Posts

Post by UP-M5 »

kurt,
let us know if mel can get it approved with clamps rather than welding for the single seat. that would be a nice option.
M5-235

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

I'm reasonably sure I could get you a field approval on weld in bracketts for the Atlee Dodge seat, possibly clamp in as well, but would have to take closer look at dimensions, structure, etc... What model maule do you have, M5 / M6? This could be done without disturbing cover as well...
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

belandd
100+ Posts

Single Seat

Post by belandd »

I have a 1975 M 5-210C
Valdez, AK.