STEC AutoPilot

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
SkyMind

STEC AutoPilot

Post by SkyMind »

Anyone know what the legal issues are about installing a used STEC autopilot (Model 30) in our MT7 235 one that was installed in a Cessna?

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If there is an STC for that model autopilot for your model Maule, then it should be a matter of purchasing the STC and complying with it. If not, then you need to go the field approval route. Best to talk to an Avionics shop.

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

I really like the S-TEC autopilots. My M5 has the old Century IIB. I stopped browsing used STECs a few years ago when STEC announced they would no longer support the STC and parts mod process involved in installing a used autopilot on a different type aircraft.

Give STEC a call before you spend any money attempting this. I don't think they will provide you with any support if you try it and you'll need their involvement since every different type needs different mounting brackets, type servos etc.

Let us know if my understanding of this is mistaken.

Kirk

SkyMind

Post by SkyMind »

I talked with our FBO owner who two years ago found a used autopilot from an A36 Beech Bonanza and wanted to put it in his A36. He said S-TEC issues the STC per airplane serial number and will not transfer a used device to another airplane.