5 point harness for MX7

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

5 point harness for MX7

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi All,

Does anyone have one of these fitted? I would be keen to have them on the front seats if possible.

I'm also wondering if there are any similar safety upgrades for my two rear pax?

Thanks for any ideas, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com
TV/Film & Rally-Raid Logistics

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Hi Sam,

We have a retrofitted mod to install bolt-on 4 point harness for the front seat, nothing for the rear seat.

Bryan in parts can hook you up with these. we also have the weld-in ones if you want, but would only recommend these if you have the plane uncovered.

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Hi Duane,

Thanks for that - I'm actually emailling Bryan at the moment. I am really keen on 5 point, do you guys not have one coming out sometime soon?

Your 4 point - is it on an inertial reel?

Can I leave the original seatbelts installed - ie full harness for low and slow, and easy seatbelt for high level cruising?

thanks, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

Sam, At this time, no plans are in the works for a 5 point attach point. Doing some acro in a glider, I really like the added belt. I would think it would be a fairly simple task to add a mount for the crotch belt, however, you would have to get it in a 337 or whatever your version of that is.

Yes, we are using the Am-safe 4 pt. belts atm.. and they are the inertial reel type.

As far as leaving both in the plane, that would fall under the 337 thing too. Seems like the extra belts flopping around could pose some issues. Would take longer bolts and possibly some spacers.

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

If you have an older aircraft like mine is, dual three point rear seat belts are available now and yours can be retrofit, but I believe there is a little welding.
I don't see how 5 point would be easy, but the 4 point can easily be worn as just a belt and the shoulder belts attached as a before landing item. and unlike say hooker harnesses they do use an inertia reel.
The rear seat quick release system is worth it's weight in gold, not only because you can remove the back seat without tools in seconds, but it also reclines the seat back a little more making the back seat much more comfortable. Best upgrade for the buck I've done.

aero101
100+ Posts

Post by aero101 »

If you only want to use the lap belt with the amsafe, just don't use the shoulder harness, no need to leave the original lap belt in place. Also Cubcrafters sells an Amsafe kit for the PA18 with the retractable shoulder harness and comes with attach clamps that attach overhead to frame tubes for very reasonable cost. Not sure what Maule is selling these days, but they wanted a fortune for the Amsafe 3 point system? The cubcrafter's version can be installed front and rear seats with logbook entry only, ref AC21-34 on their website although I think you do need a field approval / Form 337 for the mounting... Good luck!!!
http://www.cubcrafters.com/services/par ... rness.aspx
Jim
http://www.northstar-aero.com

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

Sam Rutherford
100+ Posts

Post by Sam Rutherford »

Okay, this is all coming together...

Anyone have first hand experience with the 4 point inertial reel in the Maule?

Also, any chance of a little more info on the rear seat quick release system - sounds useful!

Thanks, Sam.
MX7 180-B

www.prepare2go.com

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

I've got the 4 points. Yes they are expensive. I don't really like them, they are to close to my neck, would have been nice if they were farther back, but I'm sure there is nothing to attach them there. I have no doubt that they would be much better in an accident. 5 point would be safer, but less comfortable. In flight, I let them hang behind my seat and they are completley out of the way. You can attach them any time you liike without disconnecting the lap belt as they attach seperately from the lap belt. Twisting the large knob disconnects all belts though, so if you wanted to remove them, you release all belts and re-attach the lap belt. They do hang behind the seat, so they are completly out of the way if you don't want them in cruise. If you fly with the windows open or doors off, they do flap around though if not secured.
THe quick release for the back seat mearly replaces the top bar of the seat with one that disconnects from a bracket on the door side with two quick release pins. You remove the 2 bolts holding the bar in currrently and replace it with a bracket, the new bar connects to this bracket with two quick release pins. The bar is off set about two inches rearward by an off set on the other end and attaches two inches or so rearward on the new bracket on the door side. No airframe modifications at all are necessary, just attaches with two bolts. Cheap and you can go back very easy if for some reason you don't like it. There is drawing coverage, so it should be just a log book entry, no STC, 337 or field approval.

beaver

Post by beaver »

I ordered the 4 pt Amsafe shoulder harness' from Maule when our plane was built after flying several with the std 3 pt system, I for one am completely satisfied. would never consider the 3 pt over this, the Amsafe is 1st class. We also wanted a 5th point attach as do you. After talking to Amsafe and Maule (Bryan) we actually ordered the 5th strap from Maule (Bryan can look up my orders for you) and it attaches easily to the std system as it's designed for a 5th point from Amsafe. I made a small loop (just like an Adel) and attached to the rail under the front of the seat (minor alteration as far as I'm concerned). Totally happy, hope this helps. the extra 2 straps seemed inexpensive as I recall.