M5 RUDDER….Anyone have one??

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
krautman67

M5 RUDDER….Anyone have one??

Post by krautman67 »

Looking to fit the uAvionix Tailbeacon X to the M5. Maules are NOT on the Tailbeacon X AML, due to the rear nav light mount being 1/8” / 2.5mm too small. In Canada, my AME and I will call this a “rudder repair”, and uAvionix should give their blessing to Transport Canada, much like FAA’s 337. I have contacted uAvionix and Transport Canada about this, and received a non-hostile response😃.

We are approaching our summer, I just got the aircraft airworthy again after no flying for two years due to updates and engine and prop work that I will share later. I am looking for a rudder simply because I do NOT want to loose another flying season! If I remove the rudder now, I risk having an unworthy aircraft as I work on the ADS-B solution. As I have previously posted in the ADS-B thread, the only Canadian compliant unit currently available is the uAvionix Tailbeacon X. (It Must see up AND down)

I will need to have a tag that this rudder is airworthy. It will be stripped and get a slightly larger flange welded. It will then be primed, painted, sealed, re-covered in factory ceconite, and painted a base white. It will then be sent to uAvionix for assessment by their engineering dept.
The last step will be the approval by Transport Canada, but “I have a guy” there.

If all goes well, this rudder will get matching paint and be installed on my M5. I will then repeat the process on the existing rudder. And sell it back to you, ready for a good low-cost ADS-B solution! If I could get a bit of logistical help from someone who is more familiar with the STC process, I would gladly embark on getting STC approval for this mod, since it is so minor, and basic. Maybe even a 337 would suffice. Any old undamaged rudder would do, don’t care what state the fabric is.

[url=https://postimg.cc/vDCJpc7d][img]https://i.postimg.cc/vDCJpc7d/F265-E6-B ... 54-DE4.jpg[/img][/url]
Last edited by krautman67 on Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
1976 M5-235C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: M5 RUDDER….Anyone have one??

Post by Kirk »

Is there a reason to not install the wing tip model? Installed one on my M5 with no issues on fit or performance. Not incredibly impressed with the brightness of the “strobe”, which looks more like flashing LEDs. Not a show stopper for me though.

Kirk

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

TO install the Tail beacon X, you will need to open up the fabric on the rudder and add grommets for the additional wires and install the AV30 or AV20 to pair it up.
TimB

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

And yes have a rudder
TimB

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Greetings Capt. Kirk!
Yes, there is a very specific reason I can’t use the wingtip model. It is not “diversity”, which means it only looks down. Maddening, cuz I thought ALL nav light holes have been the same standard size since before Neil and Buzz walked on the moon. NOT. Garmin’s GTX345 is available as a diversity, but not Canadian compliant, and stoopid expensive, about $18,000 installed here. I refuse to spend that on this basic VFR aircraft.
I’ll go find you at Sun n Fun, buy you a beer, and look at your uAvionix setup😎

Carl
1976 M5-235C

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thank You Tim,
I am aware of the fabric removal on the rudder. If you are willing to part with that rudder you have for about 6 months, I would be interested! ( I will buy it, of course, then sell it later when it is modified to fit the Tailbeacon.)

Carl
1976 M5-235C

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Carl,
That’s frustrating to not have the diversity option for the wingtip model. Yeah, the Garmin 345 had my attention too when the diversity option came out. I agree that it is priced out of the common sense range.

Might have to make Oshkosh this year if there is free beer involved! Hope you get things worked out.

Kirk

TimB
100+ Posts

Post by TimB »

PM sent
TimB

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I think that uAvionix will eventually come out with a wingtip mounted ADS-B transponder with the diversity antenna but they haven't said anything about it so far. The tailBeaconX not only has a diversity antenna but it also is a 1090ES unit rather than 978 UAT, which only works in the USA. Canada requires 1090ES. I imagine that they are working on the design or certification of a wingtip mounted version of the tailBeaconX (wingBeaconX?) as we speak. No idea when it might be available.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

Thanks Andy,

You are exactly correct. The US system uses ground-based WASS, Canada uses the space-based system. I could play the waiting game, more choices are continuously coming out. uAvionix is very progressive in the development department. We have the General Aviation sector to thank for this jump in technology getting into the market so quickly. Amazing that you can get a SVT AI from GRT for just $1,500….non certified, but a great safety enhancement.

Carl
1976 M5-235C

krautman67

Post by krautman67 »

UPDATE

Met to discuss this plan with my AME recently. He advised against it. Too many hassles with Transport Canada without the Maule being on the AML for the Tailbeacon X. The process would take about 2 years. By that time, other products will be available. Just not worth the hassle.

Thank you Kirk, Andy, TimB. Tim did find a rudder for me! …….so I know where to get stuff:)

Carl
1976 M5-235C