EZ Flap install

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
C-GNVK

EZ Flap install

Post by C-GNVK »

I am trying to install the EZ Flap on a M5 210C, the flap button on this aircraft is about .375", probably need .75" ,called Bill Berle he said Maule had a replacement button, but Maule parts say they don't have a replacement button. I have left messages at both EZ flaps and Maule Tec, still waiting for a reply any body have similar problems.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Re: EZ Flap install

Post by maules.com »

There are two button sizes over the years and two flap handles.
The later button is larger and much more comfortable. Some have fitted a larger thumb pad on the early button(weld screw or glue).
The later handle is bent upward and much more reachable.
With the later handle, the EZflap is not as much of an advantage.(more to go wrong and get in the way.)
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

C-GNVK

Post by C-GNVK »

Thanks for the information, I have been in touch with Maule parts and they are sending out the larger button, so all is good.

rv8bldr

Post by rv8bldr »

When I bought my M5-235C from a guy out in Lethbridge, I had the local AMO install an EZ Flap before I went out and picked it up and flew it home. I knew by the time I got it home (13 hours of flying to Eastern Ontario) that I kind of hated it. It took up quite a bit of space and it interfered with my knee (and throttle hand) when fully deployed. Because I paid so friggin' much for it I left it for a couple of years, but finally had enough.

I purchased the bent flap handle from Maule and LOVE it. It doesn't rub my knee all the time, it isn't in the way when full flaps are deployed, and I can reach it just fine for deployment and stowing.

YMMV, but I thought I would just put this out there for anyone else considering an EZ Flap for a Maule; look at the bent flap handle from the factory first. It is a LOT cheaper, dead simple to install, and leaves you with lots of leg room.

Cheers
Mark
President EAA Chapter 245
'79 Maule M5-235C C-GJFK
RV-8 C-GURV (Sold)
Bearhawk 4pl C-GPFG - Under Construction

AutoPilotof4

Post by AutoPilotof4 »

A friend and new Maule owner offered to post this on my behalf.

Hi guys, it’s been a while. There are now well over 600 EZ Flap units out in the field, including something like 75-100 Maules, and I’m proud to have maintained a 96% customer satisfaction rate (measured against a permanent money-back guarantee return offer) over the last 13 years since this all started.

As far as C-GNVK’s comment, Maule originally offered a button with a small “nipple” that stuck out of a hole in the plastic stick grip. They quickly upgraded this to a flat button that is IIRC 5/8” diameter. Several years ago the Maule factory (Brent, if memory serves) informed me that they do not supply the old “nipple” button any more, the flat button is provided to replace them, and is “backward compatible” as a replacement on the older aircraft.

The EZ Flap steel actuating tab mounts to the flat button, but it would need a (small, simple) machined adaptor to mount the tab onto the older “nipple” button if the owner did not wish to replace the button. I have worked with the FAA FSDO offices and IA’s to assist them with installing the EZ Flap unit onto older Maules using the nipple buttons. The owners of these aircraft can simply install the newer “flat” button and install the steel tab as per the approved instructions… and this is usually enough for the FSDO to issue a very easy and non-problematic field approval.

I also have a drawing for the adapter, which any small home machinist can make, and will support their IA’s application for a field approval to use this adapter instead of replacing the button.

To address Jeremy’s point, yes of course when Maule put a big bend in the flap handle it was a couple of inches off the floor and a little easier to reach. However even with the bent handles I stand by my original claim that the EZ Flap unit make a significant improvement in how the pilot uses the flap system (in the demanding flight environments and situations where Maules are usually found). The low rate of returns supports this claim.

The pilot’s manual of the Maule was apparently amended by the factory (telling pilots to not touch the flaps after landing until you’ve stopped rolling) to address the flap control/landing rollout problem that the EZ Flap was invented to solve. 6 or 8 years ago I offered Maule an incredible deal to make it standard equipment on their new aircraft; for reasons I accept but disagree with, they declined (some of you with aerospace or defense backgrounds may recognize the term “NIH”).

There are many things that could be removed from any airplane, because there’s “less to go wrong”. Lots of instruments, GPS, trim, upholstery… half of the airplanes I’ve owned didn’t even have flaps. But I hope you’ll agree things that make a big difference every time you fly, weigh 18 ounces, improve safety, and allow you to improve STOL performance are well worth having.

My best to all you guys, Wup, Rob B. Jeremy, and the many people who fly with this product.

Bill / EZ Flap