Quick release pins for front seat

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
norcal64d
100+ Posts

Quick release pins for front seat

Post by norcal64d »

Is anyone using the quick release pins for the front seat? I wouldn't mind being able to get to my battery without needing tools as is the case with the current bolts. I am curious as to what the pins are and if they are just a commercial off the shelf part.
Tim
1991 MX-7-180

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Re: Quick release pins for front seat

Post by crbnunit »

Just a clevis pin and washers. Still a pain in the butt BTW... The seat pins, not so much, but the seat stop and spring are another topic!
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

crbnunit wrote:
Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:12 pm
Just a clevis pin and washers. Still a pain in the butt BTW... The seat pins, not so much, but the seat stop and spring are another topic!
I'm on my second Maule and neither have had any springs anywhere near the seats... hmmmmmmm

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

Asa

The spring is under each seat to aid pulling forward. The spring is the same used in holding up the flaps. If you need to purchase new, I suggest you install new ones to your flaps and take the old flap springs to install under seats.
After you install them in seats 6-times, it gets a little easier. Learning curve!

Careful on retaining the rear connecting bushings at the lower rear mounts, as they always seem to wander away when removing the seats, usually dropping under the floor! :cry: I use Clevis and a Bobby locking pin to secure the upper rear mounts. Removal is very quick. Still use bolt and nut on lower rear connections.

Tom

Mog
100+ Posts

Post by Mog »

I don’t have springs nor would I ever install them. The seat moves well enough without and mine stay full back all the time anyways.

Curious about this bushing you speak of though.

Old Piper
100+ Posts
Location: New York '75 M5-210C, Rebuilding (2) M7-235C for retirement sanity.

Post by Old Piper »

I may have it mixed up between the seat belt welded points or the seat welded points, but there is small bushings that the mounting bolts go thru which the OD of the bushings snug the weldment attached tab. This allows the bolt to swivel in the Mount, for movement of the lower rear seat frame, when sliding seat forward or back. The same principal for the seat belts.

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

The seat R and R trick.
Very often the rear seat lower frame is not in alignment, so with seat in position and spring removed and rear frame attached to seat and to outboard mount point, use a tyre lever or bar to "persuade" the lower frame hole to align freely with the mount hole at the floor. If necessary clean out the holes with drill bit.
Take a file and round off the forward sharp corners of the seat rail keepers that are welded to the cross member.
The lower outboard little bolt is the one with a bushing. Fit the bolt and bushing and carve a piece of wood to jam between bolt head and airframe so it stays in place. Now when fitting the seat with rear frame attached to the seat, set seat rails on outboard keeper first, rotate seat to locate inboard keeper, then keep rotation to fit outboard hole of frame onto the bolt or clevis pin and fit washer and nut or keeper pin.
the inboard holes will align for easy fit of bolt or pin.
Once aligned the frame will always be where you want it and seat fitting will be easy as the stop bolt is kept in place on the seat rail.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

crbnunit
100+ Posts

Post by crbnunit »

maules.com wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:04 am
The seat R and R trick.
Very often the rear seat lower frame is not in alignment, so with seat in position and spring removed and rear frame attached to seat and to outboard mount point, use a tyre lever or bar to "persuade" the lower frame hole to align freely with the mount hole at the floor. If necessary clean out the holes with drill bit.
Take a file and round off the forward sharp corners of the seat rail keepers that are welded to the cross member.
The lower outboard little bolt is the one with a bushing. Fit the bolt and bushing and carve a piece of wood to jam between bolt head and airframe so it stays in place. Now when fitting the seat with rear frame attached to the seat, set seat rails on outboard keeper first, rotate seat to locate inboard keeper, then keep rotation to fit outboard hole of frame onto the bolt or clevis pin and fit washer and nut or keeper pin.
Once aligned the frame will always be where you want it and seat fitting will be easy as the stop bolt is kept in place on the seat rail.
Are you able to leave the seat rail stops in place using this method?
You have to make up your mind about growing up and becoming a pilot. You can't do both!

vern

Post by vern »

crbnunit wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
maules.com wrote:
The seat R and R trick.
I can on my M4

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

vern wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:27 pm
crbnunit wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 12:26 pm
maules.com wrote:
The seat R and R trick.
I can on my M4
I can on my M-6 as well.

Mine does not have the springs; I adjust my seats fire and aft all the time, and it’s easily done, even without the springs.

I also have the quick pins at the top of the rear mounting frame. They are just standard pins with retaining clips, per the factory drawing.

All of the above combined, along with following Jeremy’s suggestion to tweak the rear mount frame to line up properly, makes the seat removal and install a quick, simple, and painless process.