convert nosewheel m7 to tailwheel?

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
redneck

convert nosewheel m7 to tailwheel?

Post by redneck »

Does anybody know what would be involved in changing mxt7 over to mx7? Price? Are existing spring steel gear legs usable in new position without structural modification? Does tailwheel replace tailskid without structural modification? May not make sense money-wise. Thanks for any comments/suggestions.
Roger
M5-180C

a64pilot
100+ Posts

Post by a64pilot »

Won't make sense money wise, but I'm sure can be done. Conversions can be weird things legally though. For example, it probably would legally be still a nose wheel, so STC's for tailwheel aircraft wouldn't technically be legal. Also check what would happen to your insurance, you may change your mind.
Almost always better to sell and buy a T/W if that is what you want.
What's wrong with the nose wheel? Other than being Butt ugly :lol: , just kidding really.
Oh and I want to think the gear are different and of course the engine mount, does your aircraft have the steps for getting in?
If you really want to pursue this, you need to contact David Wright in Moultrie.

Duane
100+ Posts

Post by Duane »

I have to agree with Jody. the gear is diferent than the nosedragger as well as all the cutting and welding involved.. Quite the undertaking and in the end you wind up with an altered aircraft which I believe would alter its resell value by quite a bit.. Not to mention the FAA paperwork headache :)

redneck

Post by redneck »

Thanks, Duane, that's what I figured, but had to ask. Jody, I didn't see you had replied when I sent you the other message. 'Preshate the response. I'll work on tightening up my taxi-turns to stay out of the weeds. Still like the plane otherwise.
Roger
M5-180C

maules.com
100+ Posts

Post by maules.com »

redneck,
full aft and up yolk, a touch of left brake, and some air blown on elevater and rudder and it should come around. Flaps at -7 of course.
You could put a recurved spring/skid where the tail tiedown is and actually 3 point the plane at touchdown.
Jeremy
www.maules.com
Maule AK Worldwide

redneck

Post by redneck »

The full aft yoke and prop blast over the rudder helped a lot. Tx, Jeremy. Much tighter turns on 3 different grass strips this morning. Hadn't thought to dump flaps for this configuration. Wouldn't have thought 'twould make that much difference. I'll try that also. Tx to all.
Roger
M5-180C