Ground power/ external power

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Joe-FBS

Ground power/ external power

Post by Joe-FBS »

I have had a trawl around the forum and not found anything about this. In the spring of 2021, we moved our MXT-7-180 to an open fronted hangar so it stays dry but cold. Does anyone know please of an approved installation for an external electrical power socket? We are in the UK so it must be approved to put on a CofA aeroplane.

Thanks
Joe

Kirk
100+ Posts

Re: Ground power/ external power

Post by Kirk »

I believe there are Maule drawings for that if you have the parts CD. Don’t have access to mine now, maybe someone else can give you specifics.

My recollection is that there are more than 1 approved external power receptacles.

Kirk

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Here are the mechanical and electrical drawings. Click them for a larger image.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Hey Andy,

Where did you get such a clear electrical drawing? I reproduced the Flight and Maintenance manuals for my M7-235 before the shift to ATP but even with a magnifying glass the electrical diagrams give me a headache. I was able to enlarge your above diagram with no loss of resolution. Sweet.

Tim

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

With your comment about the cold I Ass-u-me your objective is to be able to preheat the plane to avoid starting a cold soaked engine and stone cold avionics.
If an electric power outlet is within reach of an extension cord, a 150 watt light bulb simply placed under the oil pan with a heavy blanket to insulate the cowling and a ceramic cube heater in the cabin will make cold morring starts much more plesant. Simply plug them in the night before
The best Government, is less Government.

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Tim, this is the JPG drawing of the electrical system from my parts DVD. The printed one in the POH isn't good enough quality to see the details.

Joe-FBS, an insulated cowl blanket helps a great deal to keep heat in. I have a Kennon Cover but their website indicates that they don't make them anymore. Bruce's Custom Covers makes them but you will have to send them measurements since they don't have a standard model for Maules. Depending on how cold it gets, you might also want covers for the prop blades and spinner. As far as a safe source of heat to put inside the cover, I recommend Aerotherm or the Twin Hornet assuming that you have an AC power source nearby. The 150 watt light bulb approach will work but I wouldn't put it inside the engine compartment since it doesn't have any kind of fire, thermostat or overheating protection.
Andy
1986 MX7-180