Maule Autopilot selection

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Fawaz

Maule Autopilot selection

Post by Fawaz »

Hello there,

I want to get an Autopilot for my MXT-7-180.

Has anyone installed an autopilot on their Maule? can you share your kits and hardware that you selected, is there a system that is direct fit that includes servos? how complex is the servo installation?

And what are the associated costs?

Looking forward to your responses!

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Re: Maule Autopilot selection

Post by gbarrier »

S-Tec is the only almost modern one approved for your airplane. Must come from an authorized dealer. Not cheap.

Bendix/king offered to certify their new GA unit for the Maule line with enough deposits but from what I see looks like that effort may have fell on its face. It all has to do with units in the field and annual production which makes it hard for manufacturers to put our birds at the top of the list for certification.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Just pedaled the M6 up in the northeast to spend times with the grandkids. Enjoyed the usual “advise when ready to copy” when crossing the Mason Dixon line. A third hand would sure be helpful while punching airways into the gps.

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

gbarrier wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:30 am
S-Tec is the only almost modern one approved for your airplane. Must come from an authorized dealer. Not cheap.

Bendix/king offered to certify their new GA unit for the Maule line with enough deposits but from what I see looks like that effort may have fell on its face. It all has to do with units in the field and annual production which makes it hard for manufacturers to put our birds at the top of the list for certification.
I am in discussions with S-tec now, i still didn't get a quote but their price list of $10k + sure as ain't gonna work.

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

gbarrier wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 3:57 am
Just pedaled the M6 up in the northeast to spend times with the grandkids. Enjoyed the usual “advise when ready to copy” when crossing the Mason Dixon line. A third hand would sure be helpful while punching airways into the gps.
Ohh I feel you, I frequently travel x-country 4-5 hour flights and I've flew in planes with Autopilots and I can tell you the fatigue level when you arrive is 50% less on your worst day.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

After the $10k expect another 4 or so till it’s done. The Bendix King Aero Cruze list for $5.1 if approved and expect $3k to install. The Garmin, which I really like, would be $10 or probably more if you want auto trim but like King way down road for approval.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Find someone who wants to ride along and tell them if they buy lunch you'll let them fly the plane some. This accomplishes two things with some practice your ride along becomes a decent auto co-pilot and buys you lunch when you get there :D
The best Government, is less Government.

Cash

Post by Cash »

I am one fortunate man as my wife is an accomplished pilot and we trade off or help each other as often as desired. The bad thing about that is you sometimes don’t get to fly as much as you would like!
Flyrider

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

The planes I fly for work have autopilots, and I must admit that I sometimes miss having one in my Maule on long trips, such as between the lower 48 and Alaska.

I have had great success with getting other people who come along to do much or most of the driving on those trips. I also find that if the air is smooth, I can trim the plane out so that I can steer it with just my feet for a while, then with just one hand for a while, with my feet off the pedals. Not having to have all limbs engaged helps a lot.

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

VA Maule wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:04 pm
Find someone who wants to ride along and tell them if they buy lunch you'll let them fly the plane some. This accomplishes two things with some practice your ride along becomes a decent auto co-pilot and buys you lunch when you get there :D

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

Occasionally I fly a C182 for work and they have wing leveler type autopilots that only control the ailerons. I find them to be more work than they are worth and I don't trust them completely. On one occasion the servo malfunctioned and started grinding its gear and dropping metal shavings. Some of them need to be within 15 degrees of a heading for the GPS to lock onto the course and control the autopilot. In another instance the autopilot lost its lock and the airplane wandered off course. Constantly checking on the autopilot and fiddling with it was more work than turning it off.

We fly VFR for work and most of the flights to and from a fire are an hour or less so fatigue isn't that much of a factor. If I was flying single pilot IFR on a longer trip, an autopilot would be a help when I need to copy a clearance or adjust the GPS - especially in IMC. I still can't bring myself to trust them to keep me on course though. Too many problems in the past.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Noble Hendrix was putting together a group to petition Bendix King. Not sure if he has been on this board or not.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

Seriously though I do have the Stec30 with attitude hold that was factory installed as original equipment. It does quite satisfactory as far as I'm concerned, it needs a little help with turn anticipation flying holding patterns and transitioning through fly by weigh points. It certainly makes long cross country trips relaxing and makes IFR not too stressful. Really wouldn't want to go very far through the clouds without it!

Might want to check with Wentworth or another salvage company for a usable takeout, as someone is always bending up there "new to them " Maule and running up our insurance rates,
The best Government, is less Government.

grub

Post by grub »

I have an STec in a 2000 MXT-180A that I’ll probably scrap out (went over on its back). You may have a difficult time getting the STC from them. Sometimes those STC can be really costly.

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

andy wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 4:46 am
Occasionally I fly a C182 for work and they have wing leveler type autopilots that only control the ailerons. I find them to be more work than they are worth and I don't trust them completely. On one occasion the servo malfunctioned and started grinding its gear and dropping metal shavings. Some of them need to be within 15 degrees of a heading for the GPS to lock onto the course and control the autopilot. In another instance the autopilot lost its lock and the airplane wandered off course. Constantly checking on the autopilot and fiddling with it was more work than turning it off.

We fly VFR for work and most of the flights to and from a fire are an hour or less so fatigue isn't that much of a factor. If I was flying single pilot IFR on a longer trip, an autopilot would be a help when I need to copy a clearance or adjust the GPS - especially in IMC. I still can't bring myself to trust them to keep me on course though. Too many problems in the past.
I don't have an instrument rating yet but I'm sure the AP will come in handy when i do!