Maule Autopilot selection

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Fawaz

Re: Maule Autopilot selection

Post by Fawaz »

grub wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:15 pm
I have an STec in a 2000 MXT-180A that I’ll probably scrap out (went over on its back). You may have a difficult time getting the STC from them. Sometimes those STC can be really costly.
Are you interested in selling the system? how bad is the condition?

grub

Post by grub »

The stec parts look ok. The problem is that I don’t know what all the stec components are. I know there is a servo in the tail and the panel turn and bank. I’m assuming there are other pieces to this system. I’d need a drawing to decipher what is there and if anything is missing.

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

A dealer who I do some work for looked into the STC permission letter for me a few months back when I found a used unit. They will only furnish the letter with a fresh install kit. That and the couple thousand dollars I was going to pay for a functioning unit pretty much equaled the cost of a new unit.

grub

Post by grub »

If you wanted the airframe (with stec installed) let me know. I could put it in a container and send her but shipping lead time are terrible right now. I was going to order a new motor mount from Maule with nose wheel and you don’t even want to know what that cost new now.

Fawaz

Post by Fawaz »

grub wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 3:34 pm
If you wanted the airframe (with stec installed) let me know. I could put it in a container and send her but shipping lead time are terrible right now. I was going to order a new motor mount from Maule with nose wheel and you don’t even want to know what that cost new now.
I've been trying to send you a private message, but it doesn't seem to be getting there, make sure you allow other members to send you a PM in your profile settings.

grub

Post by grub »

I’m sorry. I just now saw it. I’m a little bit slow on the technology stuff these days.

stevesMaule180

Post by stevesMaule180 »

What state city are you at?
We used Tomlinson Avionics in Pine Bluff, AR.

They are top notch. It is not a cheap job, but your life is worth it for good installation of anything on an airplane.

STEC-30. Our plane has GTN-650 so it sends GPSS (gps steering) thru servos controller.
At first I did not care for the fact that it does not control ailerons. I does roll-steering and altitude hold all via the ‘tail feathers’.

It will fly the whole approach to the airstrip, or outbound. Only thing pilot needs to perform is pitch and power because altitude change is under full pilot control.

Ask for Jerry Tomlinson (870)534-0589 unless you live too far away.

Wife & I own MXT-7-180 (2008) 870 hrs TTSN. Can not imagine flying without A/P now that have been for 18 months.

-Steve Giarratana (Camden, Arkansas)
N779z
Passing the faster planes, as they re-fuel ðŸ˜￾

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

I have to admit I'm torn on the "AP install in a Maule" subject. Having spent literally half my adult life flying a Boeing where the AP is an intricate and essential part of the design, yet I feel the pain of single pilot IFR, for certain.
Hand flying jets (or any airplane) is still where you're true mettle is evaluated and enjoyed, even with modern auto land used by some carriers.
I spent much of what little spare time of the other half of my adult life flying the F16, a quite amazing Jet in its own rite although it's AP is a glorified wings leveler I turned on a handful of times in 25 years. It was strictly verboten in formation and couldn't level the wings with external stores assymetry anyway. It would have been nice on a 6 hour night patrol over bad guy land while using a targeting pod or relief to and from aerial refueling but alas never utilized , all hand flown. I got your tired right here...
The one thing the two jets have in common is the lowest approach category (IIIA 737, published F16) is still hand flown to minimums using the HUD, even to this day.

So, spending 10 grand for an AP in my M5? Not anytime soon. I' spent $1400 on a patroller door kit instead to be able to see a bit more of the countryside, the reason I bought it in the first place. Still makes me smile...
😎

V/R
Smokey

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

If you plan to spend a lot of time in single-pilot IFR, then the autopilot makes sense to me. Another situation where it is useful is on long cross-country trips to relieve a little pilot workload. Since most of the less expensive autopilots do not control elevators/altitude, the reduction in pilot workload to keep you on a heading is minor in my opinion and not worth a $10K installation. There are many other modifications that are more valuable to me. If I was going to get an autopilot, I would want it control heading and altitude.
Andy
1986 MX7-180

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

Has there been any activity from the factory to get one of the newer autopilots onboard?
1999 M7-235C

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

There was some movement to look into the bendix/king aero cruz 100. Bendix/King wanted a certain number of deposits to promise to certify but think the movement fell short. Just not enough aircraft in production or in the field to get a manufacturer interested. Think the Aero Cruz would be a descent autopilot but what a pain to work with. Just got one from them for a 182 and it was like pulling teeth.

skymarc
100+ Posts

Post by skymarc »

The only Smart a/p option these days is Garmin GFC500. I have one in a T206 and its marvelous.
The factory needs to talk to Garmin and get this approved in the Maule.

I would not spend any time or $$ dealing with Bendix King.

Smokyray

Post by Smokyray »

Dynon just got FAA approval for their Glass/AP integrated cockpit for the Bonanza 33 and 35 series yesterday.
They met with Maule supposedly in the past but nothing was agreed upon. Josh at Dynon encouraged me (and other owners) to fill out a survey and check the "autopilot desired" block and they will investigate if they receive enough (whatever that number is) responses. Since their Skyview HDX glass cockpit was recently approved for all Maule models, it may be a possibility.
For what it's worth...
https://www.dynoncertified.com/dynon-survey-forms.php

V/R
Smokey

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

skymarc wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:04 pm
The only Smart a/p option these days is Garmin GFC500. I have one in a T206 and its marvelous.
The factory needs to talk to Garmin and get this approved in the Maule.

I would not spend any time or $$ dealing with Bendix King.
I absolutely agree. Most of the Avionics new and older lately seem to be Garmin. The pairing is seamless. Factory should move on this.
1999 M7-235C

bfmetcalf

Post by bfmetcalf »

Just thinking out loud. I know it wouldn't necessarily be cheap, but could a person do a field approval for an autopilot the way you can do one for say a propeller or engine or other airframe modifications?