Maule Autopilot selection

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
Andy Young
100+ Posts

Re: Maule Autopilot selection

Post by Andy Young »

bfmetcalf wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:34 am
Just thinking out loud. I know it wouldn't necessarily be cheap, but could a person do a field approval for an autopilot the way you can do one for say a propeller or engine or other airframe modifications?
In theory, yes.
And in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice…

More than likely, the FAA would tell you that they want you to do this as a one-time STC vs. a field approval. One-time STCs sit in the middle ground between field approvals and STCs in terms of paperwork hassle and engineering data required. They are only good for the one airframe they are written for, and cannot be sold for/extended to other aircraft like a full STC.

bfmetcalf

Post by bfmetcalf »

Andy Young wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 7:46 pm
bfmetcalf wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:34 am
Just thinking out loud. I know it wouldn't necessarily be cheap, but could a person do a field approval for an autopilot the way you can do one for say a propeller or engine or other airframe modifications?
In theory, yes.
And in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice…

More than likely, the FAA would tell you that they want you to do this as a one-time STC vs. a field approval. One-time STCs sit in the middle ground between field approvals and STCs in terms of paperwork hassle and engineering data required. They are only good for the one airframe they are written for, and cannot be sold for/extended to other aircraft like a full STC.
Thanks for the reply. Learned something new today, didn't realize there were one-time STC's.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Hey Y'all,

Done enough hard IFR to realize that an A/P would be a safety enhancer. I haven't scare myself yet but single pilot IFR I can see the potential.

Thus updating this thread. Don't want to plunk down serious coin on legacy technology so I called Brent to see if anything was in the works. He says they have been in discussion with Garmin and Honeywell (TruTrack) but he was not sure how far out things stand.

If anyone is at Sun-n-Fun if you could stop by the Garmin and/or TruTrack booths and provide an update I would be forever grateful.

Cheers
Tim

andy
Site Admin

Post by andy »

I agree that the Garmin GFC 500 is the best solution for a Maule autopilot. It's 2-axis and interfaces with a G5 or GI 275. Maules are currently not on the STC's approved model list so it would be a one-time STC or field approval. Has Maule had any conversations with Garmin about adding Maules to the STC AML or to the TC (better yet)?
Andy
1986 MX7-180

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Andy,

Brent says that in discussions a year ago, Garmin claimed to be 2 years out from adding Maule to the list. That's why I was hoping someone could stop by the Garmin booth to see if they are now 1 year out or if there has been no progress. Been unable to get a response from Garmin via phone or email.

Tim

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Perhaps by then Garmin will have figured out why they have had so many servo failures.

drak130
100+ Posts

Post by drak130 »

Have some shop time scheduled for March 2023 for Autopilot install. Not terribly happy about the lack of options but had bit the bullet after several long IFR trips. Was heading down the STEC 30 path. From another forum apparently STEC will not take any STEC 30 orders after Dec 2022. So do I pre order or cancel and hope this drives Maule to certify something else? Anyone have a PIREP on a something other than a 30 install on a Maule. I know the 55 is approved but that is another incremental price increase above what was going to be an over priced (Stec vs garmin) install. Any announcements at Oshkosh?

Lots of questions for sure!

Tim

Trevtt600

Post by Trevtt600 »

Hi Tim,

I talked with Bendix King and Duncan Aviation at EAA about getting the AeroCruze approved for the Maules. I'm working specifically with Duncan Aviation and hope to hear back from them in a few weeks whether they are willing to take on the process of getting this approved for the Maules. I would be giving them my aircraft as the test bed (M5-210C).

The gentleman I talked to said they just finished STC approval for the Mooney. I am hoping to have more info in the coming weeks. They need to do research to decide if it's worth their time, effort and money to go down the STC path. I explained there is no modern options for the Maule family, and I feel for the relatively cheap cost to purchase and have the AeroCruze installed, they would get quiet a bit of interest.

Let me know if you have any questions. Like I mentioned, this is only a week old, so it may take some time for them to figure a few things out. I may start a thread to see how much interest there is in this proposal as well.

Trever
N99HK
Trever
M5-210C

Andy Young
100+ Posts

Post by Andy Young »

Trever,

What is the approximate cost and weight of the AeroCruze?

Kirk
100+ Posts

Post by Kirk »

Bendix King’s website has a brochure from 2020 that shows list price of $5,100. Doesn’t specify a weight.

Read through the Operating Handbook on the Bendix King website. After reading the operating procedures, I am not impressed. Only 2 buttons and 1 knob is not a very intuitive or simple input. Too much “press knob, rotate to move cursor, press knob to select” etc etc to make simple inputs. Not sure if any of the other low cost autopilots are any better.

My overall impression was I’d rather just stick with my old Century IIB. That’s a shame because I would like a 21st century autopilot. But to each his own and I’d have to fly one to have a definitive opinion.

Kirk

gbarrier
100+ Posts

Post by gbarrier »

Recently oversaw the install of the Areo Cruz in a 182. Looks pretty slick in person. Not all the whistles and bells of the Garmin but a heck of a lot better than the current alternatives. There was a movement a year or so ago but Bendix King wanted about a $100 K commitment at that time to promise to certify.

VA Maule
100+ Posts

Post by VA Maule »

This certified stuff really sucks!!!!! The experimental units are so state of the art easy and intuitive to use and I’ve yet to hear of any faults other than installers errors ( amateur builders ) also haven’t heard of any experimental aircraft falling from the sky due to product failure ether.

Certified = pain in thee A$$ :evil: :evil: :twisted:
The best Government, is less Government.

Trevtt600

Post by Trevtt600 »

gbarrier wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 2:50 pm
Recently oversaw the install of the Areo Cruz in a 182. Looks pretty slick in person. Not all the whistles and bells of the Garmin but a heck of a lot better than the current alternatives. There was a movement a year or so ago but Bendix King wanted about a $100 K commitment at that time to promise to certify.
If I can get this to start moving the right way, Bendix King will have nothing to do with it. Duncan Aviation would be fronting the cost and time to certify it. Duncan would then become the sole dealer for the AeroCruze and Maule aircraft.

Hopefully I'll have some more info within a few weeks.

Trever
Trever
M5-210C

Undaunted
100+ Posts

Post by Undaunted »

I would be very interested in the Aerocruise
1999 M7-235C

asa
100+ Posts

Post by asa »

Based on the aerocruze's I've seen installed in C180's, I would be interested in one for my M6 if Duncan made something happen. I think they are pretty slick. I don't care so much about IFR use, but a modern affordable autopilot to reduce workload on long days or in marginal weather is something I am interested in. It's not Garmin, but then again it's not Garmin.