Shock Monster vs Acme

Mods, approval, 337's, STC's, fun with the Feds.
branman

Shock Monster vs Acme

Post by branman »

Curious if Shock Monster are worth it or just stick with oleo. I know all the youtubers seem to like them but I was interested in what a Maule pilot thought of them. It looks like a field approval since they are not STC'd. My local FSDO is not really big on field approvals :roll: The other idea is to go with Acme which were mentioned might be STC'd soon if they haven't already. I can't find much information on their website about it being STC'd for the Maule so anyone have an update on that as well? Anyone know how they all compare to each other? My plan is to get the extended gear from Alaska Airframes for my M5 and potentially change the shocks then.

https://store.tk1racing.com/ProductDeta ... e=201%2D19
https://acmeaerofab.com/

Mog
100+ Posts

Re: Shock Monster vs Acme

Post by Mog »

I can’t speak to the acme but the shock monster completely transform the plane. The downside is the drag. The upside is landing on a cloud every time. I would love to try the acme, and I even reached out to Greg Miller with no response sadly.

TxAgfisher
100+ Posts

Post by TxAgfisher »

I haven't flown the TK1's but I have flown the Acme Black Ops and also the Gen4's on Super Cubs and they are insane.
TJ Van Matre

branman

Post by branman »

Mog, do you still have the paperwork for the field approval? I could be interested so I can show a history with Maule. My understanding is its pretty straight forward install.

FARMAULE
100+ Posts

Post by FARMAULE »

I’ve been tracking the Acme Stinger STC for some time now. Unfortunately the answer of “by the end of next month” has been going on for way too long. Not a dig at them, more the STC process. If I didn’t have spring gear I most definitely would be pursuing the acme gear as well. I wouldn’t purchase anything hoping for a field approval. Been down that long path before on a prop. Luckily had some help from another member here.